Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 Copy Design error; Value cannot be null; Parameter name: value

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
nijpels
3299 Views, 24 Replies

Vault 2012 Copy Design error; Value cannot be null; Parameter name: value

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with the following:

During copy design in Vault 2012 (Inventor 2012) I get an error: Value cannot be null; Parameter name: value

None of the files are copied. I've tried al kind of different ways, coping in the same folder, different prefix and/or suffix, first selecting files, folderlocatin in "To", other way around, no folderlocation in "To', and so on! I've also contacted our Autodesk supplier, but till now do they also not know what causes this.

Does anybody know what can cause this or better, has a sollution for this?

VaultServer log file attached of today 6-6-2011

Thimo

Netherlands

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
http://www.dry-reeds.com
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
minkd
in reply to: nijpels

It looks like there is a permission problem with your filestore directory.

The server runs as a particular user (by default "AutodeskVault"), and that user needs full control of the filestore directory.

Hope this helps,

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 25
nijpels
in reply to: minkd

Thanks Dave,

I'll try that, I'll let you know.

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 4 of 25
nijpels

Thanks Dave,

It worked, someone had the idea that the user Autodeskvault was not used and deleted it!!!!

I re-installed, and copy design now works! Sometimes it's much simpler then you think!

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 5 of 25
nijpels

Hi Dave

I've been cheering to early, it worked with one part, but not with compleet assemblies (idw, iam and ipt), I got the same error as before.

Also no-one did delete the user "autodeskvault" (which I thought before. My supplier told me it is a known problem at Autodesk and are working on it.

I know the user "autodeskvault" was there before I installed 2012 over 2011. I don't know if it was deleted on the installation of 2012.

Still, I've reinstalled the Vault Server 2012, but with no change.

Also, we hade to upgrade the SQL from 2005 to 2008, could there be the problem?

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 6 of 25
minkd

It sounds like there are multiple problems.  My suggestion of giving the AutodeskVault user full control of the filestore was based on the errors in the vlog.  Have those gone away?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 25
nijpels

No, till now they didn't go away after giving autodesk user full control. To be sure we also have restarted the server after reinstalling Vault server, but nothing changed.

Straingly enough I can copy design a single file, like a idw, iam or ipt, as soon as I select multiple files, as a iam with its ipt's then it goes wrong.

There must be something wrong with the installation of 2012, 2011 worked perfectly!

We had to upgrade from SQL2005 to SQL2008 because of 2012 installation, perhaps something went wrong there.

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 8 of 25
minkd

The errors in the log  show permissions errors in the filestore.  I can't think of anything in an upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 that would have any impact on the filestore.

The "Impersonation User" needs full access to the filestore (and all the files and folders within it). By default the "Impersonation User Name" is set to "AutodeskVault", but it can be changed in the ADMS-Console (Tools >> Administration >> Advanced Settings Tab >> Advanced configuration settings).  Check to make sure you are giving permissions in the filestore to the correct user.

The installer will create the default "Impersonation User" ("AutodeskVault") during a clean install if it does not already exist, but I believe it will use whatever is currently configured during an upgrade.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 25
jparks_79

Hi

I have the same problem on a new installation of Vault professional 2012, Full Replication. I notice the same issues as Thimo. i only do not see anything showing in the VLOG timestamped at the time of the error. what I do see are sop exceptions which I believe are unrelated.

Copy Design works on single files. Will not work on 2 or more.

i have attached our vlog as well

Hope you can help 🙂

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 10 of 25
nijpels
in reply to: jparks_79

Hi Dave and Jeremy,

I've checked and rechecked the permissions for user "autodeskvault" and made sure it has full access to al the folders.

It did not work.

Next I've restarted the server on which Vault Server works to make shure everything works correctly.

Still doesn't work.

What I do not understand, is that it is possible to copy design a single file (makes no differents between iam, ipt or idw), but as soon as I want to copy design multiple files it goes wrong.

I also made a totaly new testpart and assembly in a sepperate folder. Checking in and out is no problem, but copy design stays the same error, only once I had one other error (in Dutch):

Exeption of HRESULT

Exeption of HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_Fail).

I tried this new part and assembly also on other computers (Windows XP, Windows 7), but copy design stays the same with the error:

Value cannot be null.jpg

Our supplier asked to send him our Vault Backup so if he can find the problem. Over 1 week I have an update trainging at our supplier, so I hope to solve it, but better it would be to have it before!

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 11 of 25
dandoleman

Hi Guys

Has anyone from Autodesk got an idea of a solution or when a solution might be found for this issue? It seems it's gaining momentum:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vault-2012-Copy-Design-Error-Value-cannot-be-null/td-p/...

I just experienced the same error today for the first time, with Vault 2012 during copy design.

I am thinking of a temporary work-around as my customer is migrating from Vault 2009 to 2012.

So I have backed up and migrated the 2009 to 2011, backed up 2011, and migrated to 2012.

So I have a valid 2011 vault backup that allows a copy design with no errors. Can you use Inventor 2012 Vault add-in and Vault Client 2012 with Vault server 2011?

Any help would be useful as I'm pretty stuck like the others in these posts.

Cheers

Dan

Message 12 of 25
jparks_79
in reply to: dandoleman

Hi Dan,

Autodesk says they know of the problem and are working currently to resolve it. But they aren't promising when it will be resolved. I do know that the error is not happening on all databases. So some people are not experiencing any problems, while other lucky ones, are getting to really enjoy it. 🙂

I would issue a ticket if you have subscription center. Sorry, I don't know anything else on the error.

Regards,

Jeremy

Message 13 of 25
nijpels

I've got the same answer from Autodesk via my reseller/supplier. My supplier is also looking into this.

We will try to get my back-up copy installed on there vault, see what it does.

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 14 of 25
nijpels

DanDoleman wrote:

So I have a valid 2011 vault backup that allows a copy design with no errors. Can you use Inventor 2012 Vault add-in and Vault Client 2012 with Vault server 2011?

Hi Dan,

I tried this already, but they don't connect. But I didn't try to install Vault 2011 add-in on Inventor 2012, but I think it won't work. The other way around is no problem (Inventor 2011 on Vault 2012) with the updates on this site

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/VAULT-2012-ADDIN-FOR-INVENTOR-2011-IS-HERE/td-p/3048748

Thimo Nijpels
Comus Technology BV
Netherlands
Message 15 of 25
dandoleman

Cheers for the responses, always good to feel you are not alone!

I'm going to do some basic maintenance on the migrated 2011 Vault, (which I know is good for copy design) back it up and restore it again to 2012 to see if the same problem occurs.

Be good to know if/when there is a fix out there, the main thing we use is copy-design!

Dan

Message 16 of 25
r.smith1

Would you please send a screen capture of your Administration>Vault Settings>Define Working Folder dialog please?

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 25
dandoleman

I wasn't sure if this was aimed at me or not but I have attached a screen shot of the dialog box.

Dan

Message 18 of 25
jparks_79

Hi Dan,

Try changing your working folder to "c:\designs"

That fixed mine. I had 'c"\" as well.

Regards,

Jeremy

ps. Thanks Ron 🙂

Message 19 of 25
r.smith1

Below is a recommended configurtion for setting up defined working folders.  We have discovered that having the working folder set to C:\ is the issue at this time.  Please set up a workking folder structure similar to the below link along with a new IPJ, restart Vault Explorer and test. 

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/.services/blog/6a012877799c1c970c0120a8774ea8970b/search?fi...

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 25
dandoleman
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi guys,

Thanks for that suggestion, that error has gone away now I changed the working folder from C: to C:\Designs\ as a test.

I have just tried a copy-design on a single iam and idw and it now comes up with the attached message.. any ideas??

I did just try this over a VPN so will try it live tomorrow on-site (sat on sofa at home currently... 🙂 ) and report back but it anyone has any suggested solutions?

Ron, I completely adhere to the rules outlined in Brian's Blog. One thing I also noted was that the Project file is not at the Root of the Vault, it's in the "Data" folder. I would have thought this just wouldn't work, but it does.

It's funny I never set this Vault up back in 2008 but it's been like that ever since and seems to work ok. See attached.

Should I leave it as "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or should I create a new vault project at the root of the vault, tell the Vault options to use that Inventor project and delete the existing project? - recommendations?

Funny now I get involved, with it being set up in a way that goes against my usual best practice it starts playing up for me!

Thanks for your help so far!

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report