Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vault 2012 backup

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
3453 Views, 27 Replies

vault 2012 backup

Hi All,

I have just installed inventor 2012 it works great, installed Vault that was ok as well.

now when I started to look at our backup plan, things started to go wrong problem as follows.

I can back up the vault manually to my C: drive but when I try and create a scheduled backup through the vaults new schedule tool, it come back with unable to create full backup task.

The other problem is I can’t even back up manually to the network only the local dir

any help would be great i'm pulling my hair out

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: Anonymous

The following section of the Advanced Configuration Guide should help regarding the network backup location:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/Vault_2012_Advan...

For the issue regarding setting up an automated backup via the Vault Server console, can you provide a screen shot? Another option would be to create a BAT file for your backup, and adding it as a scheduled task (that is essentially what the console automated backup does as well).

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Andy.Spivey

Thank you for your quick response,

I am not at work at this moment I will be in tomorrow.

What your saying makes sense editing the SQL and creating bat file.

I will let you know how I do

Message 4 of 28
Andy.Spivey

My pleasure - please let us know how things go.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous

please find attached pdf showing task error

Message 6 of 28
Andy.Spivey

Is there any error / warning listed in the Event Viewer logs on the machine to indicate what the failure was?  (Maybe there is a security policy that prevents a scheduled task to be created by certian users?)

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous

Before I start the version I have installed is Product Design Suit Premium 2012, as this is the standard Vault will the task scheduling work. I have been able backup manually and with a batch file. But the vault scheduling still does not work.

Message 8 of 28
Andy.Spivey

This is most likely caused by a permission issue when creating the scheduled task (it may be UAC related - that would be my guess).

Couple of options - please check to see if your batch file is being created - the default location will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\ADMS 2012\ADMS Console

If the batch file is there, you can manually create the scheduled task in windows to run as desired.

if the batch file is not there, you can manually create the batch file - my example bat contained:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\ADMS 2012\ADMS Console\Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe" -Obackup -B"C:\" -VU"administrator" -VP -DBSC -S -L"C:\log.txt"

You could also check if the following UAC option is enabled (attached image).  If so, you can try disabling it and restarting machien and testing again.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

Thanks, what I have done created a batch file put it into my task manager. Don't know why but vault schedule want work?

Well one last thing my script is like:

@ECHO OFF
REM DELETE B AND CASCADE A BACKUP SUBDIRECTORIES
RMDIR /Q /S "C:\Backup\Vault\B"
REN "C:\Backup\Vault\A" "B"
REM CREATE A NEW DIRECTORY FOR THE BACKUP
MKDIR "C:\Backup\Vault\A\"
REM START THE BACKUP PROCESS (THIS IS ONE LINE OF TEXT)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\ADMS 2012\ADMS Console\Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe" -Obackup -B"C:\Backup\Vault\A" -VUtgrimwood -VPassEmble8 -DBSC -S
L"C:\backup\vault\backuplog.txt"

it works except creating a backup log.txt does not any ideas

Message 10 of 28
Andy.Spivey

Be sure to place the -L"C:\backup\vault\backuplog.txt" on the same line as connectivity.admsconsole.exe and the logging should occur.

My thoughts on why the task is not being created automatically throught the console is with the UAC component of the OS.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

Thanks that worked fine

just have to get my head round why the schedule want work, but for now I will use windows 7 scheduler

Message 12 of 28
Andy.Spivey

The issue is most likely the UAC, or one of its components, not allowing the ADMS Console to create the scheduled task.

Again, setting the task up through console creates a backup Bat file, and then creates a task inside the Windows task scheduler.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 13 of 28
JoseLuisCam

We have the same problem with Windows 2003 Server R2 and I don't have UAC.

How I can fix the problem?

Regards.

Message 14 of 28
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: JoseLuisCam

Please make sure that the user that is executing the scheduled backup job has correct persmissions to do so.

IE, if you make a new local user named VaultBackup, login to windows as that user and try to run the backup manually through the ADMS console.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 15 of 28
JoseLuisCam

Dear Andy,

I have login with domain administrator and this user have all permissions but I cannot login into ADMS 2012 with this user. I have tried "Windows Authentication" and "<domain>\<login-user>" but I cannot open ADMS.

I attached the message errors.

Thanks and regards,

Jose.

Message 16 of 28
Andy.Spivey

Jose,

The base vault product does not support windows authentication.  To log into the Vault server console, you will need to login as a vault user.  By default, the administrator password's account is blank.

-Andy

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 17 of 28
JoseLuisCam

Andy,

so far we have never had problems (last version we used, 2010 for example). We have always used the 'administrator' Vault user. We have always run the backup using the command line but now we wanted to use the option "Scheduled Backup" and cannot because it fails to create the task.

Tonight I will test the back-up using the command line.

Regards,

Message 18 of 28
Andy.Spivey

Jose,

The scheduled backup is essentilaly a BAT file with the command line script under the scheduled Windows task - it can be created manually if there is an issue with the wizard.

Simply take your command-line backup routine and save it as VaultBackup.bat

Next, run the Windows Task Scheduler wizard and list VaultBackup.bat as the program to run.

Next you set the schedule in Windows Task Scheduler and complete and you should be all set.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 19 of 28
JoseLuisCam

Andy,

tonight I executed the back-up task with a BAT file and it's works fine but I have an error in the last lines on result log file:

----------------------------

18/01/2012 1:47:25 Validating backup databases ... 15/17
18/01/2012 1:47:28 Validating backup databases ... 16/17
18/01/2012 1:47:31 Validating backup databases ... 17/17
18/01/2012 1:47:31 The backup operation has been successfully finished.
18/01/2012 1:47:31 System.InvalidOperationException: Showing a modal dialog box or form when the application is not running in UserInteractive mode is not a valid operation. Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly style to display a notification from a service application.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
   at Connectivity.Common.CommonMessageBox.a(CommonErrorForm A_0)
   at Connectivity.Common.CommonMessageBox.c(CommonErrorForm A_0)
   at Connectivity.Common.CommonMessageBox.ShowDialog(String message, String title, ButtonType buttonType)
   at Connectivity.Common.CommonMessageBox.Show(String message, String caption, ButtonType buttonType)
   at Connectivity.Application.VaultManager.ManagerMessageBox.Show(String message, ButtonType buttonType)
   at Connectivity.Application.VaultManager.BackupVaultCommand.OnExecuteCommandLine(String rootBackupPath, Boolean validateBackup, Boolean backupStdContent, Boolean ignoreNonreplicatedFiles, LoginInfo dbLogin, Boolean validateFileStore)
   at Connectivity.Application.VaultManager.ApplicationClass.RunCommandLine(String commandLineArgs)
18/01/2012 1:47:32 ***** WARNING: Failed to initialize logging subsystem. Please check your app.config file for valid settings

----------------------------

Regards,

Jose.

Message 20 of 28
Andy.Spivey

I have not seen that message before.

Can you post your script used to created the backup for review?  I would suggest removing the -VP switch that shows the password being used before posting.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report