Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 and Microsoft office 2010 x64

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
amasva
2204 Views, 27 Replies

Vault 2012 and Microsoft office 2010 x64

Hi

I have look at the System requirements for Vault 2012 ( http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/vault_2012_system_requirements_us.pdf ) and it seems like Autodesk has forgotten to build a add in for Microsoft Office for us x64 users. Is this really so?? Why? Starting to get frustrated here..

Asle Svastuen

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
ihayesjr
in reply to: amasva

Asle,

I am really sorry for causing you frastration but we did look at the x64 version of Office and creating an add-in for it.  Based off Microsoft's own recommendation, we made the decision not to create the x64 add-in for MS Office. 

This is statement is from Microsoft's web site:

Will Office 2010 products be available in 64-bit versions?

Yes, Office 2010 products are available in 64-bit versions; however, for the best productivity and user experience, Microsoft recommends 32-bit Office 2010 for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Office 64-bit is optimized for advanced data analysis scenarios that most users don’t require, and existing 32-bit add-ins are not supported on Office 64-bit.

If we do find that there are more users, like yourself, have switched to using the x64 version of Office.  We will evaluate the possibility of creating the x64 add-in.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 28
DarrenP
in reply to: ihayesjr

microsoft doesn't even recommend office 2010 64 bit

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 28
oomclintmidas

We seriously need this plug in sooner rather than later, 65% of our customers are using 64bit OS's! 

Message 5 of 28
cmcconnell
in reply to: oomclintmidas

It works fine for 32 bit Office on a 64 bit OS...

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 6 of 28
DarrenP
in reply to: cmcconnell

you can install the 32 bit Office 2010 on a 64 bit OS just don't install Office 2010 64 bit because the vault add in won't work

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous

The quote from microsoft reminds me of the famous 640 Kb limit quote... Face it: we'll all be running 256 bit notepad at some time in the future - never mind if we need the capabilities. People buy $4000 computers to play the solitaire they can play with a $0.50 deck of cards... especially managers tend to work that way.

Better get that 64 bit plug-in ready, because every top level manager will have their 64 bit Word and Excel before the year is over... it's a "i've gotr the biggest" kind of thing.

Message 8 of 28
scottmoyse
in reply to: ihayesjr

Irrespective of what microsoft say, we have paid for 64bit OS's so we can run supposendly superior 64bit software.

Given the opportunity (our office licenses are available with 2007 32bit,  2010 32bit or 64bit) we would choose 64bit 2010 office everyday of the week.

If i hadn't stumbled across this I would have installed Office 2010 64bit! Otherwise I struggle to see the point in upgrading to 2010 from 2007........

Another bit of sloppiness from Autodesk, if you weren't going to create a 64bit Office 2010 add in for vault then you should have made it very clear instead of wasting your clients time. Even if it's the installer picking up on 64bit office being installed during the vault client installation, it would be better than nothing!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 9 of 28
alh-telesis
in reply to: scottmoyse

"Irrespective of what microsoft say, we have paid for 64bit OS's so we can run supposendly superior 64bit software."

"Another bit of sloppiness from Autodesk, ... "

I couldn't have said it better myself.

For us, Office 2010 is coming pre-installed from Dell in the 64 bit version. Getting a 32 bit version is more pain than our IT department is willing to deal with. The engineers suffer now from this lack of planning. The add-in saves clicking time compared to the drag and drop. We will miss that add-in.

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: alh-telesis

Thank you Alh-Alliedmin for bringing this up again. We are still in the middle of a PDM replacement and lack of 64 bit support (or 128 bit or 1024 bit in the future... we're talking 10+ years here) may be a deciding factor in userfriendlyness.

Are we talkjing servicepack level here or will we have to wait versions?

Message 11 of 28
scottmoyse

There are issues with the Excel add-in anyway! it forcefully removes the default excel setting that askes the user if they would like to update the external document links.

We discovered this the hard way. As soon as i installed vault onto our scheduling guys PC, excel set about updating th elinks to every management report he opened in Excel, for 2 weeks it was corrupting our management reporting data, until we figured out what was causing it. Its reproducible as well! across multiple versions and platforms. Which leads me to believe its as designed! I bet some software geek with bottle top glasses decided they needed to turn that default behaviour off in Excel to suit Vault with no consideration for the fact that a lot of people will infact use Excel outside of Vault!

Here's a thought, NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PUT EVERYTHING IN VAULT EVEN IF THEY HAVE VAULT INSTALLED ON THEIR MACHINE! poor form from Autodesk here.

Anyway rant over, I have taken it up with the appropriate people, and will have to wait and see how that pans out.

(FYI I'm a geek too but don't have bottle top glasses!)

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 12 of 28
alh-telesis

Is it the 2012 Vault Add-In for Excel 2010 that created the issue?

OMG, you've just scared the heck out of me.

We use external Document links to an AS400 "drop" folder in most of the Excel documents we check into Vault.

I most definitely do NOT want the link updated without a prompt.

Message 13 of 28
scottmoyse

it happens with the 2011 & 2012 addins in office 2003, 2007 & 2010:

It unchecks the following box (in 2003 its under app options>edit)

Untitled.jpg

everytime you tick it, then close excel, next time you restart it the add-in removes the tick again.

This should probably be started in a new thread, its a serious issue that needs to be dealt with IMO.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
RyanHou

This issue is a limitation of Word, Excel Vault Add-in. So I always had to uncheck update links option at Word and Excel open.There is only a workaround. Please update link files manually at Word and Excel open.

Ryan

Message 15 of 28
scottmoyse
in reply to: RyanHou

I don't understand your reply! Please can you explain it more clearly. 

For the record I had an Autodesk Vault Product manager here on site a couple of weeks ago and verified this was a problem! He still has to verify if its as designed or not.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 16 of 28
RyanHou

This is because of some technical and design issues, we had to disable this option if install Office Vault Add-in.  I will reprot this issue to PD team and make this better in future. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan

Message 17 of 28
scottmoyse
in reply to: RyanHou

its not good behaviour simply because disabling it affects files and work that has absolutly nothing to do with Vault or the Design process. This should be detailed in the documentation as a warning upon installing the Office add-in! I could see Autodesk getting sued in the US for causing undue costs to a company for corrupting data!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 18 of 28
alh-telesis

I believe we have been spared any corruption because our links are manual.

But you are correct in stating this is a flaw.

If our links were automatic, the Office add-in would be useless to us.

Message 19 of 28
scottmoyse

so can you specify wether a link is manual or automatic when you create the links? or is it a setting in the document? i think i have seen the setting in the document, but its late here now and can't be bothered to check. will have a look tomorrow at work.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 20 of 28
alh-telesis

Since I didn't create the links or the document, I'm not sure.

I will check with our MainFrame guys and hopefully get you answer later today. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report