Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable in the Path of the "Client Working Folder:"

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
klbosch
592 Views, 2 Replies

Variable in the Path of the "Client Working Folder:"

Is there anyway to place a Variable in the Path of the "Client Working Folder:" so I can still use "Enforce Consistant Working Folder for All Clients" yet be able to place it on different disk partitions or spindles as hardware allows.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
gradcliffe
in reply to: klbosch

The syntax for variables in the working folder path would be like any Windows environment variables (%USERPROFILE%, %SYSTEMDRIVE%, etc.).  I've never tried that; It might work, and you could set a custom environment variable on each machine to point wherever you like.

I have actually been solving the same problem with SUBST in a custom command script for as long as we've used Vault Workgroup (since the beginning of the product); haven't had a single problem yet, and I think it's a bit more refined.

Here is an example of my script (saved as VaultSubst.cmd):

@echo off
set _VW=C:\VaultWorkspace
if not exist %_VW% (md %_VW%)
subst V: %_VW%

Usage:

• Edit "C:\VaultWorkspace" to be your "standard" enforced workspace location
  • Deploy the script to each Vault client machine, to be run at startup (The script could be copied to the user's Start Menu > Startup folder, for example)
  • If necessary, Edit "C:\VaultWorkspace" to be wherever you want the workspace to exist on that particular machine
  • In Vault Administration, enforce the working folder for all clients at "V:\" (or any subfolder of it)

By using SUBST, you get a convenient "drive" at V: that will take you directly to the Vault workspace on any machine.  If you prefer not to see the additional drive letter in Explorer, I think you could make and deploy a similar script that would use symbolic links (MKLINK) instead.

-George

Message 3 of 3
klbosch
in reply to: gradcliffe

Thank You that is excacly what we were looking for

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report