Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using underscores in search Vault 2015

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
cvdcage
435 Views, 5 Replies

using underscores in search Vault 2015

Hi all,

We use underscores (_) in our filenames. Does Vault ignore _'s as a search character? It seems like it does.

pvault.png

As you can see, I'm searching for _11_ and it should not show me the excel sheets because it has an A in there.

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Neil_Cross
in reply to: cvdcage

Hi Chris,

You'll probably not be able to achieve the search you want using the quick search.  Vault uses a token based search system whereby it breaks down what you type into these tokens, and searches the entire property (file name in this case) for these tokens.

To completely restrict your search to just files that contain _11_ in the name, you'll need to do an advanced search and set the criteria to:

File name IS *_11_*

That tells vault to only find files where the string _11_ is prefixed and suffixed with additional characters.

The string _11_ is broken into the tokens _ and 11 and therefore finds all files with these tokens anywhere in the name, you need to lock down the search a bit further.  Sometimes the searching is so powerful that you need to shackle it down now and again Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
cvdcage
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your quick response. As a tech-savy user I understand your explanation.

Our "Normal" day-to-day users don't expect this behaviour to happen but I will instruct them to use the advanced search and use the "IS" and to not use  "contains", because this gives the same result as using the quick-search.

kvault2.png

Filtering also works, by the way.

Thanks!

Chris

Message 4 of 6
alh-telesis

Wow. What is that Filter Editor?

Message 5 of 6
cvdcage
in reply to: alh-telesis

When using the pull-down filter:

vault arrow.png

at the buttom of the screen you will find an Edit Filter button.... 😉

edit filter.png

Message 6 of 6
alh-telesis

Well I'll be ....

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report