Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Vault 2013 to 2015

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Whitsell
662 Views, 2 Replies

Upgrading Vault 2013 to 2015

I'm getting ready to help one of my clients upgrade their AutoDesk Product Design Suite from 2013 to 2015.  This includes the Vault upgrade from 2013 to 2015.  We do about 1 Vault Restore test a year, so I am famaliar with the process but in reading the updated Autodesk Vault Upgrade PDF I'm unclear on if I should go with the SQL upgrade this go round, but have questions.

The server that the Vault is installed on is a Windows SBS 2011 Essentials (Windows 2008 R2) server.  SQL is SQL 2008 Express SP3.  The Vault is 2013 Basic.

The PDF says that the 2015 Basic will run on this version of SQL, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't upgrade to SQL 2012 Express.  Am I adding an extra step I don't need here by upgrading the SQL now?  I'm thinking it would be easier to do it now so that the server is ready for 2016/2017 when that upgrade comes next year or the year after, as it seems 2016 would be in a position for force an SQL upgrade, correct?

My test server is a Windows 2008 R2 Foundation server that the owner of the company uses at home, and has the same SQL and Vault as the production server.  Do I have anything to worry about with this upgrade?  This is the test enviornment, but the owner of the company has taken to using for his home music server, so I need to make sure I can restore that server if it goes sideways.

Also, my plan is to upgrade not just the client Vault software, but the whole package at step 4 for all the clients.  Anything I should worry about here?  I don't currently have a test machine to actually test the client upgrade process with.

Thank you for your time.

Jim Majorowicz

Whitsell Computer Services

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
paul.gunn
in reply to: Whitsell

Hi Jim,

I'm not seeing any specific worries or concerns. In general I'd advise taking a backup immediately prior to the upgrade (just in case) - and restoring a recent backup on a  2015 test server (just to make sure there are no migration issues before upgrading the prodution server).

Regarding SQL upgrade, that is a judgement call. I would mention that you could opt to do the SQL upgrade at any point - this is not specifically tied to the timing of the Vault upgrade . So in the interests of simplicity you could just leave SQL as-is for now and just focus on the Vault update.

Hope this is useful,

Paul

Message 3 of 3
Whitsell
in reply to: paul.gunn

Paul,

Thank you for your advice. I'll leave the SQL at 2008 SP2, and after I've upgraded the test environment I'll do a restore of the current production data to ensure there are no Migration issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report