Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set or find Design Status using Vault Basic 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JimStrenk
824 Views, 4 Replies

Set or find Design Status using Vault Basic 2014

I'm attempting to create a simple query that's meant to display the Design Status of all files currently residing in the vault.

1) Am I correct in thinking the field drill-down called Status is "vaultspeak" for Design State?

2) Why is there no condition for WorkinProgress, Pending or Released?

3) How do I create a query using Find that will report the Design State of files interred within the vault?

I'm using Vault Basic 2014 with Inventor 2014 files on a Windows 7 Pro machine.  Both client and server reside on the same machine.

Thank you for your assistance. Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
olearya
in reply to: JimStrenk

HI Jim,

A couple of issues here, the main one though seems to be that Vault basic does not track any file design state.  If you record status in CAD file this can be reflected in Vault for searching as a property but Vault Basic has no lifecycle management.

In order to actually manage lifecycle states on files and add additional Vault properties (UDP's) you will need to upgrade to Vault Workgroup where we introduced the concept of revision management.

If you actually do have some design status recorded in your CAD files you can create an advanced search on that specific property or add this property to the grid and filter on it, but it sounds as though this is not the case.

Hope this helps,

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
JimStrenk
in reply to: olearya

Allan:

Thanks for the reply!  Your reply raises a few more questions and statements.

1) Within the iProperties Status Tab is an entry for Design State with a default value of WorkinProgress.  Using a pull-down, it can be changed manually to Pending or Released.  Is there no property within the Find dialog box that allows you to examine the Design State current value?  I do understand that Vault Basic doesn't have any Lifecycle Management capabilities and that changing the Design Status of Inventor files needs to be done manually when using Vault Basic 2014.  I don't see a pull-down entry for Design State.

2) The User Status Property within the Find function seems to correlate to the Status Tab Status field within Inventor files where information can be added manually.  What is the purpose of the Status property of the Find tool?  It only has two conditions, is and is not.  Values are restricted to Unknown, Needs Updating and Up to Date.  What is the purpose of this particular Property?

I was looking through the WikiHelp for descriptions for each of the available Properties within the Find tool, but was unable to located such information.  Are some of those Properties reserved for use on upgraded versions of Vault?  Is there a White Paper or other document that describes each and every Property that's selectable using the pull-down dialog box?  Some of the choices that are available I've never heard of or are familiar with.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Jim Strenk

Message 4 of 5
olearya
in reply to: JimStrenk

Hey Jim,

The property design state is not automatically indexed Vault - by default we reduce the number of properties which are mapped out of the box for a number of reasons.

To map a property from our CAD files you need to go to Tools > Administration > Vault Settings.  On the Vault settings tab you can select the properties section.

In properties you can now create a new property - call this property "design state", make sure it is enabled for search.

Now on the mapping tab you can map this to a CAD file property, select an inventor file as the source and open an ipt file from Vault.

You should now see that there are a list of properties in the CAD file that you can map - select the property you are looking for (In this case Design State) and select OK.

You now see that there is a new property created for design state which can be searched.

HOWEVER - this property is not available immediately on existing Vault files - the property is only available on new files added to Vault or files checked out and checked back in - to index this for all existing files you need to go to the server and select to re-index Vault files.

1 MORE CATCH 🙂  Design state is a pick list, so when we map this to Vault instead of getting the text value "Work In Progress", "Pending" and "Released" We get the value's line number "1", "2", "3" where Work In Progress is 1, Pending is 2 and Released is 3.

So if you are clever enough to remember this it will still work OK - one solution may be to create a saved search called "Work In Progress" where "Design state contains 1" etc so you can quickly find the files in each state without having to remember this.

Another option is to use another property from CAD which is not a pick list but just plain text that can be mapped.

Hope this helps (and makes sense)!

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
JimStrenk
in reply to: olearya

Thank you Allen, for your assistance.  It is appreciated!  Your instructions were right on the mark and made sense.

I must say that I'm a bit suprised that Design State isn't part of the default Find properties.  I would have expected that all Standard iProperties would have made the "list".

Again, thank you Allen for your assistance.   Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report