Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security settings changing.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jparks_79
453 Views, 2 Replies

Security settings changing.

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues Security modes changing on files after they have been checked in and released. Here is the story.

Vault Professional 2012

Inventor 2012

SQL 2008 r2 64

windows server 2003 64

windows 7 64

We have a lifecycle setup for content center parts. We have a rule in the system the identifies the CC part and applies the correct category. This assigns the desired lifecycle for the CC part. The default state for CC parts is released. So as soon as the file is checked in, it also starts off in the state Released.

State security for "Released" specifies that "Everyone" can read, and everyone is deny for "modify" and "delete". See image "lifecycle state security"

Upon checkin from the cad application, the security roles are applied as provided in the lifecycle state security tab. See images;folder permissions everyone, security settings before assign item, folder permissions administrator and designer

After I assign the item to the file(immediately following the checkin), the file assumes the security settings of the folder it resides. which makes a released file editable. Not good. see images of security settings after assign item.

Is this a bug with vault, or do I just not have the wrong security roles setup? This is a big security risk for us, and I want to make sure we get it under control quickly.

Thanks for taking a look everyone,

Jeremy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
yuhui.zhang
in reply to: jparks_79

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your posting. When file security and item security work together, it follows the rule of last change last win. i.e. When an released File (readonly) is assigned to an item in Work In Progress state, it will be considered editable, and readonly lock be removed. Vice versa, a file is locked if linked to a released item, but if you change file state to Work In Progress, file lifecycle security will  take precedence. Two proposals:
1. once you assign item, release all the items for CC part immediately

2. uncheck "Apply item security to related files" in Vault setting -> Items tab -> Security button, then assign item will not unclock released file, but note, release item will not lock file neither. see wiki http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/02._Working_with_Vault/01._Vault_Client/1175VaultSe...

Hope it helps

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 3 of 3
jparks_79
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

Thanks Fay!

That was exactly what I was looking for!

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report