Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for complete text strings (not tokens)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ksudavid
356 Views, 5 Replies

Searching for complete text strings (not tokens)

How do you enter a search string so that Vault ONLY returns results tha match that string?  The token methodology is returning to many bogus results.  For example I want to search for the string "90-FMCF".  I'm getting results for documents that include "90-" and "FMCF".  I need results for just the string.  In some searches the bogus results are too numerous to find the right file.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ksudavid
in reply to: ksudavid

Does anyone from Autodesk monitor this group who can answer my question? Is it not possible to search for a complete text string?
Message 3 of 6
ryan

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2012/10/fine-tuning-your-search-slop-factor-you-cant-m...

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 4 of 6
ksudavid

I read this article and if I understand it correctly setting the slop factor to zero would result in a more traditional search engine correct?

It's disappointing that regardless of this slop factor, a user can't search for a complete string using traditional methods such as using quotes.  This ability is built into most search tools I've used.

Message 5 of 6
mikel_martin

I would like to look at this further.

What version of Vault are you using.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 6
ksudavid

Version 2012 

Here's the latest update.  After experimenting with the Slop Factor we have significantly improved the results. 

We thougth a setting of "0" would mimic a traditional search engine but going that low seemed to affect wildcard behavior.  By settling on a setting of "2" we are able to at least get a manageable  set of results.

I'm not implying that everything is 100% fixed.  I would still like to see quotes used to designate a search string rather than dividing what's within the quotes into tokens.  I can see value in the token methodology but when you know exactly what you are searching for and ONLY want to see results that match your search, you have to compromise with the way it works today.

As an example, I was searching for 90-FMCF-10-003.  There are only a couple correct results for that string but I would get a few thousand with the detault settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report