Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan barcode to access drawing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ksmith
1173 Views, 8 Replies

Scan barcode to access drawing

Manufacturing would like to be able to scan our barcoded part tickets and automatically pull up the drawing for that part from the Vault.  Is that possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: ksmith

Welcome to the forum.

Do you currently have Vault?  I am not sure if this is possible, but if it is, you would be best to take a look at Vault Pro.

I would also say that this is something you should discuss with your VAR.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
ksmith
in reply to: Cadmanto

We're using Vault Pro 2013 and use the Vault Explorer to access the drawings on the shop floor.  I've done several training sessions with them on how to use the Vault Exp search features but they want it "simplified".  Very few actually use it.  They usually just call me and I send them a copy or a link.

Message 4 of 9
r.smith1
in reply to: ksmith

Hi ksmith

This request is not possible "out of the box."  However, you may be able to write something in the API that would help.  I recommend reposting this quietist here.

Or you can reach out to our consulting group to see if they know of, or could write an application for you.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
tmoney2007
in reply to: r.smith1

The good news is that the api's exist to make this work based on a barcode.

If you give them cameras or QR scanners and use one of the add-ins that is available, you could actually just put the entire Vault explorer URL into the QR code.  I haven't looked at the URL that vault spits out but you could probably write a program that generates the url and the QR code directly from the file name.

Message 6 of 9
clsewe33
in reply to: tmoney2007

@tmoney2007 wrote:

If you give them cameras or QR scanners and use one of the add-ins that is available, you could actually just put the entire Vault explorer URL into the QR code.  I haven't looked at the URL that vault spits out but you could probably write a program that generates the url and the QR code directly from the file name.

This is not hard. You do not need to write a program that generates the url and the QR Code. You can just use a asp.net barcode generator. It can turns urls into QR Code directly. Find some free tools or free version of tools like this, you can save a lot of time and money.

Message 7 of 9
tmoney2007
in reply to: clsewe33

That's why a come up with the ideas, and leave the development to the developers Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
cindy313
in reply to: clsewe33

@clsewe33 wrote:

@tmoney2007 wrote:

This is not hard. You do not need to write a program that generates the url and the QR Code. You can just use a asp.net barcode generator. It can turns urls into QR Code directly. Find some free tools or free version of tools like this, you can save a lot of time and money.

er..sounds good idea

Message 9 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: cindy313

Based on your original post, Yes this is most certainly possible 'Out of the Box'. You shouldn't need to do any customisation at all to achieve this. What text is used to generate the barcode? Is it the part number?

If you can include whichever property/value is used in the barcode within your part/drawing files and map that into Vault, then all you need to do is click in the search box, then scan using a standard USB barcode scanner and it will input the value of the barcode into the search field. Most scanners will execute the return command afterwards. So just by clicking the cursor into the search box, then scannign the barcode it will execute a search.... 

You may get more results back then you would expect, to understand why, look up Vautl Search Tokens in the help file. But the drawing/part file needed will be in those relatively small number of results..

They could also access this information via the web client if you enable it, then it won't consume a license and can be accessed via a web browser.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report