Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2011 / SQL Server 2008 R2 / Vault 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
xScobiex
2666 Views, 6 Replies

SBS 2011 / SQL Server 2008 R2 / Vault 2013

I have a query regarding SBS 2011 / SQL Server 2008 R2 / Autodesk Vault 2013…

We are upgrading our hardware & software to the new specification shown here…

1 x server running SBS 2011 Standard (64-bit) & Autodesk Vault 2013 (4 licences)

Autodesk Inventor 2013 (4 workstations)

Issue:

Autodesk vendor insists that Vault 2013 needs to be installed on a completely separate server that SBS 2011, although Autodesk state that Vault 2013 is compatible with SBS 2011 (64-bit). This will increase cost & maintenance issues dramatically just to run Vault 2013.

Their main problem is installing SQL Server 2008 on a domain controller (of which SBS 2001 is one), but in the Autodesk “Advanced Configuration Guide” for Vault 2013 it describes how to install SQL Server on a domain controller, so it must be feasible.

With the low number of users, performance isn’t a huge issue. What other issues will be faced by installing SBS 2011 & Autodesk Vault 2013 on the same server and could they be overcome?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Inertech
in reply to: xScobiex

I have installed Vault 2013 on SBS 2011 standard. I just got it to install after a week of trying, I was only doing a couple of hours a week work on it. Long story short it can be done. I ASSumed that you could take a Vault 2013 disk put it in the drive and install it, it is way more work than that. Although most of my time was spent searching for answers on the web....love google.

You will need to change your IIS time out to 900 seconds before installing. Youhttp://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0206-Autodesk206/0210-About_Yo210/0211-Vault_In211/... can use this link: 

Next you are going to get a 1603 error, here is a link on that:http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=4536872&linkID=9240897 This link does not tell you how to clear the error. I had to contact autodesk support and have them point me to the "Advance Configuration Guide for Vault Server 2013"......WHICH IS STILL WRITTEN INCORRECTLY!! To be able to install vault 2013 on SBS 2011 Standard I needed to download (from Microsoft) and install Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 Express Edition SP3.....not SP2 as stated in the literature. I downloaded SP2 as stated only to have to uninstall and install SP3, after finding a post on the web.

You also have to turn your windows UAC off on the server to install Vault 2013. This is my first time working with a server so there might be better ways to do what I did. I do not really understand why they do not want to install SQL on a domain controller, but like you stated that is how SBS 2011 comes set up. You also only have 4 users. I would try installing it in a test environment before dropping an additional 10K.

Message 3 of 7
xScobiex
in reply to: Inertech

Many thanks for your detailed answer...

I presumed it was possible to perform an installation of SQL Server 2008 & Vault 2013 on SBS 2011, but have had many complaints from the Autodesk vendor.

Someone else has suggested using the Premium Add-On for SBS 2011 (which includes Hyper V) to virtualise separate installations of SQL Server 2008 (with Vault 2013) on one virtual machine & SBS 2011 on a 2nd virtual machine. I'll look into this as well.

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
Inertech

Just make sure your processor supports running Hyper-V

Please repost after you have your chosen configuration up and running. I am interested to hear about it.

Message 5 of 7
xScobiex
in reply to: Inertech

Ok will do - I'll certainly update this post when we have our final setup Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
eleblanc

Why wont it run on SQL 2008 R2 standard, and we have to install the express version?

The Vault basic 2013 installer i have dowloaded from my subrscription always try to install SQL express and fails, consequently failing the whole install.

Oh, and each time i try to lunch the installation of SQL 2008 Express SP3 i have found online, it starts the SQL Server installation center and basicly can only reinstall the SQL version i have on my server.

Message 7 of 7
Boarchild

Well, it is quite possible to install Vault 2013 on SBS 2011.

1. Install SQL Express 2008 SP3

2. Create an instance named "AUTODESKVAULT"

3. Enable TCP/IP and Named on that instance

4. Set the sa password to "AutodeskVault@26200"

5. Disable UAC

6. Set IIS timeout to 900 seconds on default website (the approach varies, but it's under advanced settings for the website)

7. Remove the defaul 127.0.0.1/80 binding in IIS bindings on default website, make sure you have the */80 binding still there.

Review other errors in the installation guide and fix them.  Ignore the warning for ISAPI filters.

Another workaround would be to copy the installation disk to local drive and replace the installation files for sql express sp2 to sp3 files. I didn't do it that way though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report