Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Copy As file that doesn't need to be saved

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
signmeup
353 Views, 8 Replies

Save Copy As file that doesn't need to be saved

We have a problem with Vault / Inventor syncronisation. Assemblies in the browser are black, i.e. save not required. The file could be checked out or not. When you save the top level assembly you are asked to save some sub-assemblies "Save Copy As". It seems to happen most often with tube and pipe assemblies.

Other times we've had files that show as not checked out to me (cross against file) but it is my name that comes out as checked out to.

Is there a fix for these problems?

Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
HUSELALU
in reply to: signmeup

Can you take a screenshot while expand that 2 assemblies.

Maybe a file within that 2 assemblies are changed?

Message 3 of 9
signmeup
in reply to: HUSELALU

Is it possible for a file within an assembly to change and require a save (turn red) but not the assembly? It's an interesting point. Next time I will check all the contained files for changes and make sure all are checked out.
Product Design Suite 2017, HP Z800 Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz x2, CPU x24, 96Gb, Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 9
cbenner

I've seen this before with Tube & Pipe, several years ago.  Caused me some major headaches and a ton of rework.  I suspect that if you check out the top level assembly, but not necessarily all of the pipe run subassemblies, that minor changes are occuring that affect those unchecked out subs, causing them to need a save.... of course since they are not checked out it defaults to Save Copy...

I agree that IMHO the safest thing to do with T&P is check out everything, that may take a little longer, but you should be covered in case something moves or needs updating in some subassemly somewhere.

Message 5 of 9
signmeup
in reply to: cbenner

Now I think about it, this was happening before on assemblies where I was checking every child out on open. I then moved to a different workstation where I was typically able to check out files only when necessary. It rarely caused loss of work, only time. The saved copies could be checked in and seemed to inherit the history of the original files (very odd). Sometimes Vault does weird things.
Message 7 of 9
HUSELALU

If you check out and Inventor later crash the checked out files will be read only. When you later try to check in the files Inventor tries to save copy as. Find the local copy of the file in Windows Explorer > Right click > Properties > Attributes > Uncheck Read Only. Maybe not the correct solution but a good workaround.

Message 8 of 9
signmeup

All my local files are Read Only. It's definitely worth a try though.
Message 9 of 9
signmeup

I see now that check out files have the read only flag removed. I tried changing an open, checked out file to read only and got the save copy as dialog. So perhaps Inventor is not changing the read only flag in certain circumstances. Thanks for this tip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report