Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Vault on an external drive

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
The_Angry_Elf
328 Views, 3 Replies

Running Vault on an external drive

Just wondering if anyone here has had any luck running Vault (Basic/Workgroup/Pro) on some type of external drive like a WD Passport or the like?

I've seen/heard instances where people have attempted such in the past but for whatever reasons they had major issues. Most likely becuase they installed or configured something wrong. So anyways, just wondering what you might have seen/done before I attempt such for my own knowledge.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Nevermind, I found some answers from back in 2012 here.

I think I'll give myself an accepted solution for doing the searching and reading work...LOL

BTW - Yes you can do the above, it's just not the best choice.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 4
DarrenP
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

it would probably work but you will probably take a performance hit

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: DarrenP

Oh no doubt there Darren.

I'm thinking more along the lines of someone who's a "one man show" type setup wanting to be able to carry his Vault with him as he travels from client to client or whatever. At least that's how it's been explained to me by someone who attempted to do such back on release 2012 or so.

I'm thinking their thought process back then was something easier and faster than remotely logging into their home base over the provideded client net connection???

I do know this same person ran into access issues at a few clients where they weren't allowed to access the Net or even a few instances where there wasn't a Net connection to be had (the owner was afraid of a virus getting into the company so no internet service was provided....yes, really).

"I'm not going near the fakakta thing. I'll catch a computer virus" - Mrs. Wolowitz

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report