Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rule to automatically assign files to category

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
pdn
Advocate
851 Views, 12 Replies

rule to automatically assign files to category

To automatically assign a file to a category I have to create a rule, for example "file name ends with .doc"
but how do I assign multiple file types to the same category. I want to automatically assign all MS Office types (.doc, .xls, .ppt) to the "Office" category
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Madhan_T
in reply to: pdn

Hi,

Currently, we need to create individual rules to automatically assign category to files. We are aware of this limitation that OR condition cannot be used with in a rule.

i.e, FileName endswith ".doc" OR ".xls" OR ".ppt".

we need to create the following rules instead

FileName endswith ".doc"
FileName endswith ".xls"
FileName endswith ".ppt"

Regards,
Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
pdn
Advocate

Hello Madhan
I'm loosing you here. I know about the missing OR condition and I tried to create a rule exactly the way you described (3 lines in the rule with the extention in double quotes) but this doen not work. This is a severe limitation
Regards
Patrick
Message 4 of 13
Madhan_T

Hi, Patrick,

I recall that it was working for me. However, I will check this for you and update you soon.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
pdn
Advocate

Madhan
just noticed the following:
Originally I had a rule with only "filename ends with .doc", this worked perfect when I drag & drop a word file in the VM explorer
I then modified the rule to include lines with .xls and .ppt, no luck.
Modified it to put the extentions between """", no luck
then modified it back to the origina (only .doc)l: it would not work anymore !
I had to delete the rule, delete the category, exit VM, restart and recreate everything from scratch ???

regards
Patrick
Message 6 of 13
Madhan_T

Hi Patrik,

I tested this and it works fine for me. I am sorry that in my previous reply I mentioned to include the extensions with in double quotes. I realized that it does NOT work. However, it works without the quotes.

BTW, I did not modify the existing rule instead I just copied and rule and changed the file extensions. Here I am attaching the screen snapshot for your reference.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
pdn
Advocate

Madhan
OK, now I understand
now it works perfect, this is an acceptable workaround until we have the OR function
Thanks a lot
Patrick
Message 8 of 13
Madhan_T

Hi, Patrick,

You are very welcome. As I recall, due to some technical limitation it could not be implemented. I will keep you posted if I get any further information on this.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
Madhan_T

Hi Patrick,

Another note, if you have multiple lines in the same rule, it actually means "AND" between the lines. I believe that's the reason why it did not work.

I just thought of passing the above information.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 13
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: Madhan_T

Hi. My file rule didn't change the category "on check-in", only on "adding". What can be wrong with it or is it as supposed?

Message 11 of 13
scottmoyse
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Rules are only applied on creation of the file within Vault, in other words adding the file to the Vault. But the rules aren't applied each time a file is checked in. There is a tick box in the rule creation GUI which allows you to choose if the rule is applied on file creation or not. The only other time a rule can be applied is via the change category tool, scroll to the end of the list and there is an option to apply the category based on the assignment rules.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 12 of 13
pvcosta
in reply to: scottmoyse

I really don't understand this function  "Apply rules on object creation” . Summing up, if this is unchecked, It will act like the rule were disable (nothing happen when you add a file)?

Thanks for any explanation.

Pablo

Pablo Costa
Message 13 of 13
cschnellT2E5T
in reply to: Madhan_T

Has this issue been fixed yet or in the queue to be?  As far as I can tell, I still need to create separate rules for each file type if I want to "OR" them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report