Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve old file versions without overwriting current version...

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
magnus.torell
487 Views, 3 Replies

Retrieve old file versions without overwriting current version...

Hi there,

I'm sitting here in Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 with basic Vaultand have a question I can't find the answer to in any forum nor FAQ's.

If I would like to pick up say version 2 of a part that currently is in version say 15 - how can I do that WITHOUT overwriting version 15? I would be OK with being forced to renaming it or something, but right now it seems that the only way is to overwrite version 15...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
olearya
in reply to: magnus.torell

Hi Magnus,

By the sounds of things you are almost there - to retrieve this file and split it off from the original design you should simply:

1. Select and "get" previous version from Vault (Ver 2)

2. Open local copy (Ver 2) in Inventor

3. Save as new file

4. Check in as new file.

You do not get to keep any history associated with your new file but I would suggest you add a comment that it was copied from Ver2 of original file.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
magnus.torell
in reply to: olearya

Maybe I let you of the hook a little too fast there... 😉

I just tried the prescribed solution and it didn't work for me.
Probably I managed to do something wrong, however simple it appeared to be...

The funny thing is that when I tried this I did it on a file that had in total 15 versions in it's kronological tree, I tried to break out version 5 - followed your instructions that seemed so easy and logical, that I therefor marked as an accepted solution before I actually tried it (stupid me).

To my amazement I didn't get verison 5 - and even more funny is that I didn't get version 15 either, which to me would be the second most logical solution... judging from appearance it could have been version 2 or version 8 which are identical at a quick glance... but I know they differ... 

So now I'm "dazed and confused" again... 😉

Message 4 of 4
olearya
in reply to: magnus.torell

Hi Magnus,

Well I better keep trying to help then 🙂

This is strange but if you are working with an assembly containing a lot of sub assemblies it is possible the sub assemblies are not coming down as the right version....  I would look at this.  

In Vault Workgroup and up revision bias ensures that the file revisions are maintained when you choose rev bias but versions are not quite that smart.  So this could mean you actually need to download the sub assemblies at the correct version and open locally - you should be able to test this with a couple of assembly examples and see if this is the issue.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report