Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring replicated backup to test environment

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jparks_79
630 Views, 7 Replies

Restoring replicated backup to test environment

Hello,

I have seen a few posts about retoring backups, but nothing that I have seen covers this exactly.

We have a fully replicated multi site environemnt. I want to be able to restore this environemnt on a different set of machines.

The problem I cant seem to get around is how to enable the new sites without completely replicating the databases and servers. Simply adding new workgroups causes the datasbases to copy again from the publisher. All the ownership settings and anything related to the previous workgroup is removed. On top of that, if there are problems in our production environment, a complete replication could potentially hide an issue at a subscribing site.

So for example, I have production servers 1(publisher), 2,3...I want to create an EXACT duplicate on servers A(publisher),B,C

How is this possible?

Thanks,

Jeremy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ihayesjr
in reply to: jparks_79

In order for you to restore the subscribers you will need to use a 3rd party utility to backup the subscribers then restore then subscribers in your test environment.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 8
jparks_79
in reply to: ihayesjr

Hi Irvin,

With the third party utility, is it possible to restore those subscribers on different servers with different names and IP address?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 4 of 8
ihayesjr

Jeremy,

No, you still have to restore to the same computer names if you are not planning to completely setup replication again in your test environment.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
jparks_79

Irvin,

Any recomendations for when all machines reside on the same domain?

-Jeremy

Message 6 of 8
ihayesjr

You will have to setup an isolated network from your production network.  That is the only way to make this work.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
jparks_79

😞

Ok. Thanks for the guidence!

Message 8 of 8
RStancescu

It's a bit late to this post but I back up the Vault with the standard Autodesk procedure and restore it every few days on a server with the same name, SQL version and completely off the network. I transfer the files through a portable memory stick.

We have a Publisher and 5 Subscribers in a few countries, database and file store are permanently replicated. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report