Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming and moving files in Vault workflow question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dpsmith85
410 Views, 3 Replies

Renaming and moving files in Vault workflow question

I am currently in the process of reorganizing a few files in the Vault and always run into the same issues, so I wanted to post my workflow and see if I am doing something wrong and if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to do things.  My goal is to move files in order to make finding files easier.  Right now one of the issues is that I will move a file, move it to a new folder, and then get the latest version off ALL files AND top level assemblies.  I then will later open the top level assembly, check it out, work on it and then go to check it in except the file is still referencing the old files that are left on the local disk workspace.  So vault will give me an error saying all the files that I just moved are already in the vault and won't let me check them in due to the "file already exists in the vault".  At this point I will have to do 1 of 2 things, undo the check out (losing my changes) and delete the files from the local workspace and reopen the assembly, or go through the assembly and replace all the parts with old references to the new folder.  Either way it's a pain.

-I also realize that if I delete all the old files left on the workspace prior to opening the assembly it's going to correct the issue.  However, when you're moving that many files it's hard to keep up with where the old files are and track them down and delete them.  Is there any easier way to avoid this issue entirely?

Autodesk Professional 2010 and Vault 2010.

-Thanks

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
minkd
in reply to: dpsmith85

I think what you are looking for is the "Workspace Sync" functionality, which I believe is included in Vault Workgroup and above.

See Manage Your Workspace in the Help Wiki.

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
dpsmith85
in reply to: minkd

Thank you for your quick response.  The workspace sync does look like a nice function, however, I think the real issue is that vault should automatically update the references to the new file location after the file has been moved.  That's the entire point of the software.  Instead it still links to the old file unless I delete it from my workspace.  Is there something I am missing to make this workout more like it's supposed too?

Message 4 of 4
minkd
in reply to: dpsmith85

I know we greatly changed the whole move/rename functionality in the 2012 release. We now fix dependencies when a file is downloaded rather than trying to fix all the parents during the child rename.  Given that in 2010 we did try to fix the dependencies of the parents, it is not clear to me why this isn't working in your case.

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report