Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename Wizard fails to update all file references

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dpeabody3k
407 Views, 9 Replies

Rename Wizard fails to update all file references

We recently upgraded from Vault 2011 and Inventor 2011 to Vault 2014 and Inventor 2014.  We have discovered that renaming files using the Rename Wizard in the Vault 2014 client does not update all the references contained within the renamed files if the following conditions are true:

• One part has exported a parameter
  • A second part imports the parameter from the first part
  • A suppressed  occurrence of the second part exists in an assembly

This is a critical issue for us, as almost all of our assemblies meet the above criteria, and our workflows often involve renaming.  This workflow worked properly in the Vault 2011 client.  I suspect the problem arises from the new File Resolution feature introduced in Vault 2012.

Here are steps that can be followed to reproduce the problem:

• Create a part named Part1.ipt and add some geometry to it.
  • Create a part named Part2.ipt and add some geometry to it.
  • Create a part named Part3.ipt.  Do not add geometry to it.  Create a user Parameter named Exported.  Export this parameter.
  • Open Part 1.ipt and open its Parameter table.  Link to the parameter named Exported in Part3.ipt .  Assign at least one parameter linked to geometry the value “Exported”.  Close the parameter table and save Part1.ipt
  • Open Part 2.ipt and open its Parameter table.  Link to the parameter named Exported in Part3.ipt .  Assign at least one parameter linked to geometry the value “Exported”.  Close the parameter table and save Part2.ipt
  • Create an assembly named Assembly1.iam. Insert Part1.ipt and Part2.ipt.
  • Suppress Part1. Save Assembly1.iam.  Name the new Level of Detail “Part2 Only”.
  • Check Assembly1.iam into the Vault
  • Rename Part3.ipt to Part3a.ipt from within the vault client.
  • Check out Assembly1.iam, Part1.ipt, Part2.ipt, and Part3a.ipt.
  • Open Assembly1.aim in Inventor.
  • Change the Level of Detail from “Part 2 Only” to Master.
  • You will find that Part1.ipt is still referencing Part3.ipt, not Part3a.ipt and that Part2.ipt correctly references Part3a.ipt.

I have attached a zip file containing files that can be used to illustrate the issue. 

To reproduce the issue using these files:

• Check all 4 files into the Vault
  • Rename part3.ipt using the Rename Wizard in the vault client
  • Check out all 4 files
  • Open Assembly1.iam in Inventor
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dpeabody3k
in reply to: dpeabody3k

The zip file did not attach to my original message.  It is attached to this reply.

Message 3 of 10
dpeabody3k

Third time trying to attach zip file...

Message 4 of 10
Senthil_Kumar

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I could reproduce the issue with the files you have given. When I open the Assembly I see Refresh icon ( Red arrows) for Part 3 and when I refresh, Part3a is downloaded. Do you see the same? Also was it working fine in 2011?

Ref icon.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 10
dpeabody3k
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.  Here's what I see when I first open the Assembly:

first Open.jpg

After I switch to the Master Level of detail (and choos Skip in the Resolve Link dialog) I see this:

MasterLOD.jpg

We had no problems doing this in Vault 2011.

Message 6 of 10
dpeabody3k

By the way, we are using Vault Basic 18.1.18.0.

Message 7 of 10
dpeabody3k

I think I may have found the source of the problem.  Inventor does not appear to be adding the relationship between the part with the suppressed occurance and the part with the exported parameter to the vault when it checks it in.

Here's a screen shot of the uses of Part2, which is not suppressed in Assembly1:

unsuppressed part uses.jpg

Notice how vault is aware of the link between Part2 and Part3.

Here's a screen shot of the uses of Part1, which is suppressed in Assembly1:

suppressed part uses.jpg

Notice how there is no link to Part3.

So it looks like the fault is not with the rename, but with the initial check in.  The Rename Wizard does not update the link between Part1 and Part3 becuase it is not aware that the link even exists.

If this theory is correct, what can I do to make ensure that this problem gets corrected by Autodesk as quickly as possible?

Message 8 of 10
Senthil_Kumar

Thanks again for providing the information.

I understand the issue now. We are investigating the issue. In the meantime can you try this and see if it works for you.

1. Open the Assembly1 from Vault

2. Check out all

3. Change the LOD to Master

4. Check-in

5. Change the LOD to Part 2 only.

In this case you should see that Part 1 picks up Part 3 as its child.

Let me know.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
dpeabody3k

Setting the LOD to Master before renaming is the workaround we have been using since we upgraded 2 weeks ago.  However, we do not find this to be a viable long-term solution, given the amount of time it adds to completing our designs.

What can I do to get this problem fixed by Autodesk?  How quickly can I resonably expect this problem to be fixed?

Message 10 of 10
Senthil_Kumar

I see that you have escalated this issue to Support. So support team will get in touch with you for the further course of actions. Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report