Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Vault Sites

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jdonnellon
364 Views, 8 Replies

Remote Vault Sites

We have a small design company. four people at 4 locations across Michigan. We want to use one vault for all locations.
I want to set up a test server on my own cad workstation. It is a 64 bit system. All other sytems are 32 bit. Can this be done out of the box with Inventor Suite 2009? Or do I need ProductStream? I followed the server install directions on my local machine. When I try to load the server on my laptop, the option to install remote database is greyed out. Also can this be done with standalone license? All machines are XP pro. I'm not an IT guy. Is there any white paper out there that better describes install for this. Any in put would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jdonnellon

In 2009, Multi-site(Replicator) and remote SQL is only a feature enabled in
Producstream 2009.

wrote in message news:5907251@discussion.autodesk.com...
We have a small design company. four people at 4 locations across Michigan.
We want to use one vault for all locations.
I want to set up a test server on my own cad workstation. It is a 64 bit
system. All other sytems are 32 bit. Can this be done out of the box with
Inventor Suite 2009? Or do I need ProductStream? I followed the server
install directions on my local machine. When I try to load the server on my
laptop, the option to install remote database is greyed out. Also can this
be done with standalone license? All machines are XP pro. I'm not an IT
guy. Is there any white paper out there that better describes install for
this. Any in put would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
swalton

We run Vault on a dedicated server in one office and a second office uses a VPN connection to connect to it. Both ADMS and SQL run on this server. Vault speed at the remote office is limeted by the Internet upload speed at each office.

The remote database is to allow one machine to host the ADMS server and another to host the SQL database (I think).

You only need to install ADMS and SQL on one machine (espically for test). Each workstation that will use vault will need the Vault Explorer installed. Users will log into the ADMS server with the Vault Explorer (and whatever vault plug-in is required for the CAD program).

Talk to your reseller about how to set up a test environement. Our reseller will not support any Vault install that they did not perform.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 9
kevincurrey

For 2008, Productstream Replicator was (apparently) a standalone product that nobody seemed to know anything about. Is it now only available if you purchase the full version of Productstream?
Message 5 of 9
wavemaster

We are doing this using Microsoft's Small Business Server (SBS), Premium Edition. In addition to providing a secure environment and proper firewall protection, it also gives you a full version of SQL (not express), Exchange (push email and much more), Sharepoint and high end back-up.
You will need XP Pro or Vista Business on the clients and a single server for ADMS and SBS.
This configuration will work fine for a small network like yours, and gives you a bunch of features that you will want soon anyway.

Running it on a workstation, that needs to be open to accept requests from several clients during 10-12 hours per day, is risky.

Robert
Message 6 of 9
wavemaster

Oh, Productstream is overkill squared for what you are doing.
Message 7 of 9
jdonnellon

Thanks for the help. I almost got the VPN set uo. I am using XP Pro on all systems with the built in VPN. It does not work with my server firewall on. I have opened port 1723. I do not know how to open GRE protocol 47 in windows firewall. I have seen this all over. People say to do it, but how??? It works fine when I disable firewall on server side.
Thanks!
Message 8 of 9
swalton

We have a Cisco firewall that provides the VPN service, so I don't know anything about Windows built-in VPN.

It sounds like you have got a demonstration working, so you may be able to justify getting some specialized hardware or a networking consultint involved.

Good luck.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 9 of 9
RoyLewis1

So, how did this work out for you? Are you now running Vault with your remote locations? If so, how well is it working?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report