Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Repair Utility - The utility has Encounted Some Errors

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mthomas
1654 Views, 11 Replies

Reference Repair Utility - The utility has Encounted Some Errors

As we had issues with the reference repair utility in 2013 not being able to process all of our folders it was suggested to wait til 2014... so here we are.

I have multiple folders that when I attempt to run the Reference Repair Utility on constantly stop with the message "The utility has encounted some errors and it has stopped working. Please see the log file for details" Looking at the last couple lines in the log it shows....

Parameter name: collection
09:35:30 Processing version 22: version name=0500-269.iam in c:\temp\3f95d05f-3548-47b5-9441-dd6efebe869e\Designs\PMP2000
09:35:30 6 missing references found.
09:35:30 Error occurred when processing 0500-269.iam.
09:35:30 Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: collect

Which doesn't lead me to the cause

The error isn't as much of a concern but the constant utility stopping and me having to resume it is. I'm not starting to doubt that this one folder is ever going to finish.

Anyone know what's causing these errors? anything I can do to limit the amount of errors?

Mike Thomas

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
minkd
in reply to: mthomas

A fix for this problem is included in some updates that were released today:

Vault 2012 Update 3

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?id=21957247&siteID=123112&linkID=9261341

Update 1 for Vault 2013 Service Pack 1

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21957393&linkID=9261341

Unfortunately, an update for 2014 has not been released yet.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12
mthomas
in reply to: minkd

Any idea on when we'll see something for 2014?

Thanks
Mike Thomas

Message 4 of 12
minkd

Sorry, but we aren't allowed to provide future release dates or what a future release may contain.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 12
minkd

Vault 2014 SP1 has been released.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21897709&linkID=9261341

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 12
mthomas

Since applying SP1 I am able to process more folders but still have folders that I can't. Now the problem is "an exception" that causes the utility to stop. After clicking ok to the exception message it crashes.  

I've attached the errors as well as the log. I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 7 of 12
minkd

The error in the log file indicates that the server is not available.

Is the utility failing at a specific time of day?  Is there a scheduled task that brings down the server, possibly as part of a backup procedure?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 12
mthomas

I tried processes one of the "trouble" folders at various times during the day... morning | afternoon | evening and each time it failed & crashed exactly the same

Mike Thomas

Message 9 of 12
minkd

Are there any errors in the server's vlog around the same time as the errors in the reference repair utility's log?

If not, are there errors in the event viewer on the server around that time?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 12
mthomas

Looking at the VLOG nothing jumps out pointing any errors to the File Reference Utility. I'm running it again and will try to watch it closer so I can narrow down where in the vlog to look

The Event Viewer had a couple errors...

Event 10000 - Application Error

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b8479b
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000009e5d
Faulting process id: 0x1c7d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8882583c496e
Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 4641f345-f48c-11e2-9d2c-e41f13e02970

Also three Event 1309, ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 Warnings which I've attached the details in a text file

Mike Thomas

Message 11 of 12
minkd

The ASP.NET warnings look rather benign ... like someone using the web-client clicked on another folder before it got the response back from clicking on the current folder.

The w3wp.exe fault is our best suspect if it is occuring at about the same time as when the Reference Repair Utility errors occur. When the worker process crashes, then for a brief period of time the ADMS will be unavailable while IIS restarts it.

Is there anything you can tell me about the files in this problematic folder that might be different than files in other folders?   Are there many versions of each file?   Are they toplevel assemblies with many children?  Are they iParts or iAssemblies with many members?  Do you have any problems browsing those folders with Vault Explorer?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 12
mthomas

Dave,

You were right about something occuring causing the utility to fail. One that I forgot about was that we run an IISRESET as part of the Vault Backup script hence the reason the utility was failing overnight. Also due to the bug with the 2014 webclient logging people out and not allowing them back in we've been randomly running IISRESET on the server to flush the logins and allow these people to log in. As I wasn't always the person running the IISRESETS I didn't put the two together.

Thanks for the assistance!

Mike

Mike Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report