Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Repair utility. Command line option

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
allen.gager
1098 Views, 13 Replies

Reference Repair utility. Command line option

is it possible to run the utility from the command line?  I have a large folder structure and the utility is not able to make it through my entire vault without crashing.  I would like to run the utility on each folder. My desire ti to run it from a batch file and feed it the next folder as needed. Or, is there a way to set it to run on a range of folders?  I don't see any otehr way to skip all the folders that it has already completed.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
minkd
in reply to: allen.gager

Unfortunately, I don't think the utility supports any kind of command line options.

What kind of error are you seeing when it crashes?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 14
allen.gager
in reply to: minkd

Hi Dave,

The last error had to do with a Vault connectivity error. I do not recall what the one before that was, it has been some time since I last ran the tool. It died after 26 directories. The best I have been able to get is 40 directories. I have about 125 of them to do in total.

Cheers,

-Allen

Message 4 of 14
mikel_martin

I assume you are reffering to the "Update File Refferences" in the Actions menu in Vault Explorer.

Correct?

If so you may run that on a single directory by selecting the a sub folder before running.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 14
allen.gager
in reply to: mikel_martin

I am referring to the Reference Repair Utility that runs as a separate tool and requires manual updating of the ADMS.

Message 6 of 14
mikel_martin

OK, sorry.

Though you can give it path through the UI and run it multiple times, you can not change the path through the command line.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 14
minkd
in reply to: mikel_martin

There are a couple of configuration files that could be of interest. Both are in the same directory as the ReferenceRepairUtility.exe (which by default is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 2014\Explorer" on a Windows 7 64-bit OS).

The "RepairReferences_UserPreferences.config" is an XML file that contains the setting ConsecutiveFailuresBeforeAbort. The value defaults to 25 so the utility will retry 25 times if it encounters an error.  You could raise this value if you think it will get you farther or to completion. The same file keeps track of which folders have been successfully scanned under the ScannedFolders node; but there isn't a way to skip already scanned folders.

The "ReportTemplateAuthoringUtility.exe.config" is an XML file that has a "Path" setting with the value shown in the UI. But while you could drive that programatically, you would still have to press the start button.  And while it is possible to automate things like button presses via the Windows API, it might not be worth the effort.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 14
allen.gager
in reply to: minkd

Awesome, Thank you.  I have a tool that will poke the start button for me when the window pops up. It is easy enough to feed the path info into the  .xml file.

Cheers,

Allen

Message 9 of 14
allen.gager

Dave,

My xml file does not have those nodes. Also, when the tool completes, I get an error stating "Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Collaboration 2013\Explorer\RepairReferences_UserPreferences.config' is denied"

I have checked, the file does exist and it does not have a Read Only attribute.

I have attached an image of my xml file for review in case something is missing.

Cheers,

Allen

Message 10 of 14
matt.smith

1. Unfortunately, the setting Dave is referring to appears to only be available in the 2014 version of the Reference Repair Utility (you are using 2013, which unfortunately is hard coded to 25).

2. For the "access denied" error you mentioned, I'm guessing that:
    a. you have Windows UAC turned on.
    b. you are running the program normally (i.e. you are not choosing "Run as Administrator")

When both of these are true, the program won't have write access to the Program Files directory.  The reason it is trying to write to the RepairReferences_UserPreferences.config is that it wants to save off the folders you've already scanned (so that it can tell you if you are re-scanning a folder that has been scanned before).  

This is an issue on our part.

The most obvious work-around to this issue is to do "Run as Administrator" (which will then give the process write access to the Program Files directory).  The problem here, is that you will most likely get an error about Inventor Apprentice not being installed.  This is because Inventor apprentice is not registered in the part of the registry that is visible when doing "Run as Administrator".

One workaround that should work is completely turning off UAC (but I don't like this one).

The best workaround, in my opinion, is to:

a. Move the configuration file (RepairReferences_UserPreferences.config) to a location that is writable when not doing "Run as Administrator".  For example: move it to your "My Documents" folder: C:\Users\<youruserid>\Documents

b. In the Reference Repair Utility, go to Settings and change the Configuration File location to this new directory.

- Matt

Message 11 of 14
allen.gager
in reply to: matt.smith

Thank You for the follow up.

Is there a way to get around the 25 version limit?

I have one file that has 41 versions. I can not get the utility to continue or skip over that file.

Message 12 of 14
matt.smith

The 25 limit has to do with how many errors are encountered in a given run (and I'm not sure off hand what errors do or do not count toward that limit).  It is not related to how many versions a given file has (unless you are saying that each version of that file is triggering the same error). 

What errors are you getting that are not allowing you to proceed?  Would you be willing to send me your log file containing the errors?  Maybe I'll be able to offer some better advice.

matt.smith@autodesk.com

Message 13 of 14
allen.gager
in reply to: matt.smith

Thank You. Here is my log for review.

Message 14 of 14
matt.smith

You are hitting a known issue for which we are currently working on a fix, and for which there is a workaround (albeit, not a very good one).

See:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/reference-repair-utility-username-or-passwd-seems-to-be...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report