Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Yes, Write Enabled not checked out from Vault" but I didn't modify the file

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
cadfish1
2349 Views, 32 Replies

"Yes, Write Enabled not checked out from Vault" but I didn't modify the file

When I go to save my parent document (assembly or drawing), sometime Inventor prompts you to save a reference file (model) you never edited.  Sometimes you can simply open an assembly and some of the reference say they need saving (how is that even possible, I didn't modify a thing)!  Based on the message (Yes, Write Enabled not checked out from Vault) it made me think somehow the file's read-only attribute somehow got turn off but alas read-only is on as it should be.  What does this message even mean?

I know I can do a checkout then check it back in to resolve the situation but it's undesirable to populate the Vault with unwanted extra versions just to resoves some qerks.  What causes this and is there a better workararond?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33

Does any of this apply on Vault basic?
Message 22 of 33

We dont typically release subscription updates for Vault Basic.

So, no it does not apply to the current release of Vault Basic.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 23 of 33
warrentdo
in reply to: mikel_martin

We are on subscription and we are force d to use 2011 inventor so we can only go up to 2013 adms if I'm not mistaken? I did put a log on subscription and they said that they are not doing any development on inventor 2011 even though it should be supported until March 2014. If you have changed it in 2014 you must have known that it's not working on releases before that?

Message 24 of 33
mikel_martin
in reply to: warrentdo

While it understandably may appear to our customers that we have released an update that solved a major workflow problem, and this change should be something that can be applied to previous releases. The reality is that the ground work for this change was put in place in the 2014 release. There were several changes put in place within the eco system of server and clients to make this update possible.

It is important to understand this point in order to understand that replicating this change in previous releases of the product is not simple or practical. While we sometimes do update changes to previous releases, this one is not likely to be one of them.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 25 of 33
BL4849

@mikel_martin wrote:

We dont typically release subscription updates for Vault Basic.

So, no it does not apply to the current release of Vault Basic.

So can you tell all the Vault Basic users what the "issues" they should watch out for and how the can mitigate these issues.

Message 26 of 33
mikel_martin
in reply to: BL4849

unfortunately, there is no simple "don't do this" and everthing will be better.

The core issue is that some applications give the user the option to write to files even when they are marked as read only. Some applications do this more than others.

When this happens the files in the workspace enter a state where Vault no longer has enough information to help you know what version of the file was modified and what the best course of action should be.

The only way to not get in this state (without the subscription release) is to not save the files when prompted by the appication.

In the subscription update we are gathering and storing enough information to be able to know what the file was before it was modified in order to give the user better information and workflows. We did not stop the files from being modified. Not only is that out the Vault's control, it is not practicle for some applications to make this type change.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 27 of 33
warrentdo

Hello Martin,

You say that its not practicle for some applications to make this type change.

But inventor does make this change.

With ‘Update physical properties on save’ & ‘Prompt for save for re-computable updates’ selected

Every time that you insert an assembly into another assembly the inserted assembly gets dirtied (turns red)?

Our work around is to select on models and not assemblies on ‘Update physical properties on save’.

We were told that this was FIXED on 2014.

No good to everyone on 2011, 2012 & 2013.

Warren.

Message 28 of 33
transpacbe
in reply to: warrentdo

Hello,

I am using Vault Basic 2016 through the Inventor 2016 interface and am still getting this error/behavior a lot.

We have recently migrated from a single user environment to Vault Basic.

I've applied the latest service packs on the client computers and the ADMS, and still getting this behavior.

Many times there is not a "no to all" option as in the attached image, and I have to click "no" on every part file individually.

I have done absolutely nothing to modify the parts it's trying to save except for open them read-only in the context of the assembly.

I noticed that when we were setup on single user config that you could save an Inventor assy, then it would tell you it had been modified if you tried to close it immediately afterward. I'm guessing that this issue is somehow at the root of this but I'm not sure what I can do as a better workflow.

I'm hoping we have some setting incorrectly configured because I cannot think that the software is actually designed to work like this...?

Please advise/update.

Ben

IV 2016, Vault Basic 2016 Windows 7

write enable error.jpg

Message 29 of 33
tstaples
in reply to: transpacbe

I am shocked that as a company, Autodesk has continued to let their system default to 'Write Enable' on a file it knows is read only?  This is 2017.

Message 30 of 33
karthur1
in reply to: transpacbe

Ben,

When this dialog first comes up and you see the "Yes to all" and "No to all", if you change one of the items in the list, the buttons at the bottom will change to just "Yes" and "No".  You will no longer have "Yes to all" and "No to all".

Take a look at your Inventor >Tools>Application options, save tab. If you have "Prompt to save for re-computable updates" or "Prompt to save for migration" checked, then that may result in what you are seeing here.

The "best" scenario is to go ahead and check-out all the files, save and check them back into vault. Then the next time, you should not have to deal with those file again.

If you have more issues, start a new thread and someone will answer your questions.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 31 of 33
martin.halacek
in reply to: cadfish1

Write enabled – not checked out from Vault. Again, again and again after all those years. I’m on 2022 and I’m really pissed. How many years we have to wait until Autodesk solves this issue. Another decade? We have constant problems with unwanted overwriting of our files. Vault can’t do basic thing that it is intended for. There is absolutely no reason for having two different versions of part or drawing. When file is not checked out from vault it should NEVER be saved. We pay hell lot of money for Inventor subscription every year and what do we get? Just piece of sh!t. If Vault developers can’t understand such basic thing, then you should fire them, because you don’t need such incompetent idiots in your company. I heard former Autodesk CEO Carl Bass on some Autodesk event, talking about having ping pong tables in company in order to create “creative” atmosphere. Well at least we know where our money goes – table tennis tournaments. Too much is simply too much. I absolutely don’t care about the reason behind this, whether it is migration of the file, updating physical properties or whatever is going in the background. Vault should handle this and not the user. I used PTC Creo and SolidEdge in my previous jobs, and this never happened. File was not saved, period. Is this so hard to understand? If you have assemblies with hundreds of parts, subassemblies etc., constantly being opened and closed during a day, it’s virtually impossible for human being not to make a mistake during saving. Moreover, it appears even on parts that I didn’t touch. Instead of showing this message, simply don’t save the file. No wonder many users are switching to competitors. Their developers are probably different level. You can’t make a simple button work properly.

Pic2.jpg

Message 32 of 33
BL4849
in reply to: tstaples

Is this still an issue?

Message 33 of 33
BDCollett
in reply to: martin.halacek

@martin.halacek wrote:

Write enabled – not checked out from Vault. Again, again and again after all those years. I’m on 2022 and I’m really pissed. How many years we have to wait until Autodesk solves this issue. Another decade? We have constant problems with unwanted overwriting of our files. Vault can’t do basic thing that it is intended for. There is absolutely no reason for having two different versions of part or drawing. When file is not checked out from vault it should NEVER be saved. We pay hell lot of money for Inventor subscription every year and what do we get? Just piece of sh!t. If Vault developers can’t understand such basic thing, then you should fire them, because you don’t need such incompetent idiots in your company. I heard former Autodesk CEO Carl Bass on some Autodesk event, talking about having ping pong tables in company in order to create “creative” atmosphere. Well at least we know where our money goes – table tennis tournaments. Too much is simply too much. I absolutely don’t care about the reason behind this, whether it is migration of the file, updating physical properties or whatever is going in the background. Vault should handle this and not the user. I used PTC Creo and SolidEdge in my previous jobs, and this never happened. File was not saved, period. Is this so hard to understand? If you have assemblies with hundreds of parts, subassemblies etc., constantly being opened and closed during a day, it’s virtually impossible for human being not to make a mistake during saving. Moreover, it appears even on parts that I didn’t touch. Instead of showing this message, simply don’t save the file. No wonder many users are switching to competitors. Their developers are probably different level. You can’t make a simple button work properly.

Pic2.jpg

This seems like a bug. They happen.

I have never experienced this kind of behaviour with Vault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report