Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing Out Vault Explorer Custom Views

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tahdesign1
284 Views, 8 Replies

Pushing Out Vault Explorer Custom Views

I develop several types of custom views in Vault Explorer for different purposes.

I would like to develop a hand full that match my setups (example: show all the properties that populate out parts list) and be able to have those pushed out to the users.

Is there a method, in using deployments, that I can do this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tahdesign1

I don't think you can include them with the deployment image of Vault Client, but most if not all the custom views are stored in XML files on your PC.  

You can write a batch file which will copy those XMLs onto the other user PCs, that can be manually run or put into a login script.  You just need to find the XMLs and where they need to go to.  That info is easy to find if you Google around, or ask here and say exactly which views you want to copy and we can locate the paths.

Message 3 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Thanks I pretty much thought that they could not be pushed out with the deploy.

In developing the deploy you can only specify which add-ins to include and service packs.

I will develop some views and do some looking.

Can't do it this morning because I had the new server restore back to raw (just 2014 basic and SQL) to do another upgrade rehearsal.

One more time, writing down all the steps so nothing is missed and I am ready for the upgrade (all software deploys have also been made and tested).

It sounds like the pushing out of the views can be something after the fact anyway.

Message 4 of 9
Neil_Cross

Also it might be worth checking out "Project Thunderdome".  It's a custom app created by Doug Redmond which is designed to do exactly what you want to do, standardise layouts.  However I think it might only be supported on Vault Workgroup/Professional, not sure if you're on Basic?

Personally I haven't tried it yet but on face value it talks a good game.  

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2013/05/project-thunderdome-2014.html

Worth checking it out I guess, if you have a supported Vault platform.

Message 5 of 9
tahdesign1

I'm going from basic to Pro.

I'll have a look, thanks

Message 6 of 9
tahdesign1

Ok just looked at the videos he made on this and it looks to be exactly what I need.

And it is free, +++++

Message 7 of 9
tahdesign1

OK just pulkled down the install for this and since it is an msi I can include it in my Vault deployment

Message 8 of 9
cbenner

I've used Thunderdome for a while, and I've been quite happy with the way it works.  You load it in all of your client machines, and then run it on your admin system (client) to tell it what you want to push out.  Next time your clients log in they get the updates you've made.  It's pretty slick.  Doug's the man!

Message 9 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: cbenner

I do have one caveat to this that I am concerned about.

For the near future I will be running a 2015 Pro Vault with a 2014 Client base.

I will have a 2015 Client on my machine for Vault Admin Stuff (Per a ADSKers direction).

So I am wondering how to go with this add-in. Do I use the 2014 Add-in since that is what my users will be using?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report