Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge Previous Versions of parts.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
daveharrison10
293 Views, 3 Replies

Purge Previous Versions of parts.

Hi,

We are having some issues with space on the SQL data base. We have deleted a couple of parts and space seems to be the issue.

My question is:

“You have a parts containing 20 previous versions, if you were to delete 10 of them would that free up space?”

My thought process is that if you can re-call previous versions then surely those files must be stored somewhere thus taking up valuable space…….I’m not a vault expert therefore just a thought.

Thanks

D.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
minkd
in reply to: daveharrison10

Go to the Vault Help (http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/), click on the Search icon and enter "purge".

The first topic that comes up is the ADMS-Console purge, which operates on an entire vault.

One of the search results is "Purging Versions", which is down from Vault Explorer - either from the main grid or the history grid. This one is more interactive and lets you be specific about what files or even specific versions you want to purge.

Hope this helps,

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
bpettus
in reply to: daveharrison10

Dave,

Yes you will see an immediate reduction in your filestore as soon as you purge versions.  Of course if you are running a regular backup,

that will reduce next time around,

One of my questions, in cleaning up old versions, the latest version (say it is version 50) will remain version 50 even though you have removed

the previous 49.  Makes it a little difficult to search for files that need to be purged down the road.  I may submit that as a different thread.

thanks,

B

Message 4 of 4
mikel_martin
in reply to: bpettus

I noticed that you said you are looking to reduce the size of your SQL Database.

If you actually mean that you are concerned with the size of SQL, I would question why that is. One thing to understand is the actual file bits are not stored in SQL but are instead stored in a folder on the server. While a purge will reduce the size of the file store and will have some reduction in the database size, it may not have the impact on the SQL database that you are seeking.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report