Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of including AVFS to the vault config

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
944 Views, 11 Replies

Pros and Cons of including AVFS to the vault config

AVFS was introduced after SP1 for Vault 2014 thus was not really actual for us (why introduce anything to configuration of system that works).

We do use Connected Workgroups. Nowadays we consider moving to Vault 2015. AVFS seems just one more component to setup (and mantain - see SP1 for Vault 2015).

Keeping in mind that system with more componetnts is less reliable than system with less components .... what are real pros (and cons) of AVFS?

Answer to this question should have been posted in comments to article http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2013/07/autodesk-vault-file-server-2014-avfs.ht... but, as usual for Autodesk articles, they seems to be writen not for those who dare to try clirify them (comments are closed as soon as real question occur).

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

To be honest when I first learnt of the AVFS, my immediate reaction was... why? Personally I've yet to deploy an AVFS as I've only worked with companies who use full SQL replication, so I'm not sure what this brings to the table.

What I mean by that is Vault has always had a means to connect a workgroup to Vault without the need to deploy full publisher & subscriber based replication.  You installed an ADMS at a remote site, and pointed it to the master ADMS which hosts the SQL instance.  That remote site had a filestore, it had an ADMS, but all SQL traffic was redirected to the primary site hosting the Vault.  On face value, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's exactly what AVFS does but appears to be purely rebranded? Possibly simpler to implement but essentially does the same thing?

I'd also love to know what benefits AVFS brings over the legacy methods for doing this.

Specifically to your question though, are you currently using full SQL replication? Now you're wondering what the benefits are to having a site without a subscriber SQL instance?

Message 3 of 12
minkd
in reply to: Neil_Cross

A typical network topology for the ADMS multisite (aka filestore) replication scenario goes like:

Client <---> ADMS <----------------------> SQL

In the ADMS multisite case, the longer wire (i.e. higher round-trip time) is usually between ADMS and SQL. Since 1 meta-data call to ADMS often results in many SQL calls, performance suffers.

In the AVFS scenario, it looks like:

Client <----------------------> ADMS <---> SQL

\<---> AVFS

Now the longer wire is between the Client and ADMS (the AVFS is still close to the client).  The meta-data calls to ADMS have a longer round trip, but the many round-trips to SQL (which is now close to the ADMS for everybody) are much faster; resulting in better performance.

The AVFS is much simpler than an ADMS, and doesn't suffer the workgroup ownership consequences of SQL replication.

Does this help?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: minkd

How could one check the rate of improvement (which scenario you'd recomend for testing)?
Message 5 of 12
minkd

I'm not sure that I understand the question ...  if you want to compare how the different configurations will work for the way you use vault on your network, then you would need to try each one and measure the difference.  Every customer is different, some may use particular workflows a lot, while others use some other workflow a lot.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 12
Maxim-CADman77

Is setup instruction for AVFS published somewhere?

PS: This is second time i post this answer (first was send as reply through mail on 10Nov .... i'm puzzled why it got no here ... there was no such problem before ... but I face at least two cases this week when "Reply" link in e-mail from discussions doesn't work properly).

PPS: Great there is at least automatic

"Your topic recently received a reply. Did it solve your problem?" notification when it looks like no reation from topicstarter (it makes to beaware of situations when your answer losts).

Message 7 of 12
minkd

I've had mixed results trying to post links to articles in the help wiki, so the best way to get there is to invoke Help>>Autodesk Vault Professional Help Topics and search for AVFS.

The first result for me was here.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 12

**edit for link at bottom**

One way to test the rate of improvement is to perform a base-line test of a command or function.

So as an example:

I have SQL A and ADMS A in a single facility.  

At a remote facility, I install ADMS B, and AVFS A.  ADMS B is configured as a traditional 'multisite' topology, and AVFS A is pointed to ADMS A.

Then I take a client (at the remote facility) and login to ADMS B and peform an operation - lets say get and checkout of a dataset of ~10 files.  Note the time duration, etc.

Then take the same client (with a clear workspace and files not checked out) and perform the same operation above when logged into AVFS A.  Note the time duration.

Some environments will be more obvious than others, but in almost all cases, you will see performance improvements in using the AVFS server at the remote locations vs an ADMS server for the reasons Dave noted above.

This should assist in setting up AVFS. - same content as the help link Dave posted above.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 9 of 12
steveh4

Max...

We jumped on AVFS as soon as it came out and never looked back. We have used all flavors of Replication at some point in time, but AVFS blew the other two out of the water for us.

Here's why....

- We deal with items and CO's and we were constantly fighting for ownership, that is all gone.

- If we ever lost connection to a server. Ownership was locked up and basically stopped the remote site from doing any work.

- Migrating db's in multiple servers is gone. We have a large db and we fought getting them synced back up everytime after an upgrade, now we only have to worry about one server.

- db calls (searching, item, and CO manipulations were slow with just file replication), since db calls are going direction to the main server, all dbcalls are fast. I refer to AVFS as Multi-Site on steroids.

- With connected workgroups and when the connected went down, you have risk of doubling up numbers on any new item, CO, or auto-numbering sequencing that you may have.

- Only requires one SQL license for AVFS

- Only requires one big server, the remotes can be smaller.

- From an admin standpoint, a lot less maintenance and management.

Alot of this depends on latency in your WAN, so refer to Autodesk or you VAR to determine the best option...but I would highly recommend at least trying it.

Good Luck!

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 10 of 12
Maxim-CADman77

Is setup instruction for AVFS published somewhere?
Message 11 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Yes we do use Full SQL replication ?
Message 12 of 12
steveh4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report