Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property mapping - what exactly does create mean?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tegstette
1256 Views, 4 Replies

Property mapping - what exactly does create mean?

Hi

Cannot seem to make my property-mappings in Vault to work properly...

Can someone please explain exactly what the difference is between create Yes vs No for a file that is mapped both ways?

I have set up a new property-mapping in Vault and I have 4 different situations and wonder what should happen.

1. Mapping both ways, Create = Yes, Text-value for custom property = "1234"
  2. Mapping both ways, Create = Yes, Text-value for custom property does not excist
  3. Mapping both ways, Create = No, Text-value for custom property = "1234"
  4. Mapping both ways, Create = No, Text-value for custom property does not excist

For clearinfying I guess we must look at situation 1-4 in two ways after edit in value in Vault Explorer

1. The custom property already excists in the inventor-file
  2. The custom property does not excists in the inventor-file

Hope someone can give me a proper answer very soon as I have a big problem Smiley Happy

Best regards
TG

Autodesk Inventor/Vault Professional 2021
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
minkd
in reply to: tegstette

The Create only applies to the write mapping from the Vault property to the file's property.  With Create=yes the value is always written; and with Create=No the value is only written if the property exists.

For example, lets say you have two Inventor parts, the first part has a custom property called "Vault_Test", and the second part doesn't. The Vault property "Revision" has a write mapping to the Inventor "Vault_Test" property.

When you check-out these parts from vault you will be asked if you want to update them with Vault properties. When you confirm this, the Revision value of the first part will be written to the Vault_Test property in the file (regardless of Create setting, because the property exists). However, the Revision value will only write to the second part if the Create is yes, since the file does not have the property.

The reason for this feature is that some folks don't want certain properties to write back unless the file was created with a certain template (which would establish the properties).  For other properties, they may always want them to write back.  Others may always want to write back the value regardless of the template used to create the file.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
tegstette
in reply to: minkd

Thank you very much for our quick answer, Dave - really appreciate it Smiley Happy

So the premise to get my edits in Vault to the inventor-file is that the custom-property aleady is created and already excists in the inventor-file?

As you explained, I do not want to have the custom propety "Vault_Test" on all files. But I am trying to create this property in the inventor-file by adding value to this property to the files that should have it in Vault. But basicly what you are saying this is not possible without setting create to yes and apply this property to "all" files?

Best regards
TG

Message 4 of 5
minkd
in reply to: tegstette

If you want vault to create those properties in files where they don't exist, then you will need the create=yes.

You can have different mappings for different "property providers". For instance, there are seperate property providers for Inventor files, AutoCAD files, Office files, etc.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
tegstette
in reply to: minkd

OK, thank you for verifying this so I don't have to wonderSmiley Happy

Best regards
TG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report