Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProductStream Professional

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1165 Views, 14 Replies

ProductStream Professional

I am looking for some inputs (i.e. pros, cons, differences, cost requirements, support, usages, customization, and etc.) regarding ProductStream Professional?

We are currently looking at ProductStream but our German facility uses the Compass Pro software that AutoDESK purchased and changed to ProductStream Professional. So I have two choices now. Go with ProductStream and scrap the Compass Pro solution in Germany, or just bite the bullet and go with ProductStream Professional.

Any input would be appreciated…..

Regards

Mark L
CAD Design Manager
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

hello you should go with ProductStream Professional
Message 3 of 15
cadmageren

Does anybody in this forum have any experience with PSP?

I would like to discuss some different issues - I especially do not like the way the system handles projects and items.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Currently there is no Productstream Professional newsgroup, but there are
people here who know about PS Pro. If you post any questions/issues to this
newsgroup, please make it clear in the title that you are talking about PS
Pro.

Thanks,
Doug Redmond
Software Engineer, Autodesk Inc.
Message 5 of 15
mvdberg

I don't know where you're from, but I know of a german forum where they discuss Productstream Pro. Most people at this forum use "normal" Productstream, so there aren't many discussions about PSP. I started working with PSP some four years ago, so perhaps I can help you.
Regards,
Martin van den Berg
NKM Noell Special Cranes GmbH
Inventor Professional 2019.3 + Vault Professional 2019.1.1
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

parden my ignorance, but what is the difference between PS & PSP. Or where can I read up on the difference?
Message 7 of 15
cadmageren

Hi mvdberg
I am working as a CAD administrator in a company in Denmark, and we are in the final phase of implementing the basic PSP platform.

I have loads of questions 🙂 , but right now I am just looking for a forum. If you have a link to the german forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

Just to mention a few questions:
How do I make a copy design.
How do I make a copy design, where a Derived Component is included in several of parts (Skeleton Modelling)
How do I get a structured drawing list, when the structure is defined by the 3D assembly?
How do I use projects to handle a large assembly with 1000's of subparts.
How do I makes searches within a project with sub projects?... "Find all drawings in given project and sub projects"

Best Regards
/Michael Christoffersen
cadmageren@gmail.com
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

First off, the names are confusing. Productstream Pro is NOT an upgrade to
Productstream. They are 2 completely separate products, each with its own
set of features.

I don't know of a definitive comparison document, but I can tell you where
to go for each product separately:

Productstream: http://www.autodesk.com/productstream

Productstream Pro:
http://www.advsolinc.com/data/products/productstream_professional.aspx

Doug Redmond

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

So if I understand right, Pro has some additional tools plus some Project Mangement stuff. I hope this doesn't change Autodesk's focus on plain Product Stream. It makes me nervous that Autodesk has two product so close together, with one I'm sure costing more.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

I'm not really qualified to comment on the focus or the price. But as a
programmer, I can tell you that there is plenty of work going into the
Vault/Productstream products.

Doug Redmond
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I understand. Product Stream is a good product, I hope it stays in Autodesks crosshairs long term.
Message 12 of 15
mvdberg

Hello Michael

First the link: www.cad.de. Click on EDM/PDM/PLM and select the Productstream COMPASS forum. It is in German, but if you post your question in English they will answer you.

Now, for your questions. I suggest you have a chat with your supplier. He should be able to answer your question. I’ve taken a shot at it and I hope this helps you. It has become quite an extensive read.

How do I make a copy design

How do I make a copy design, where a Derived Component is included in several of parts (Skeleton Modelling)

That is a basic command. If you right click an assembly and choose "Copy Engineering document" PSP will make a copy of that assembly and the accompanying IDW. The original and the new assembly have identical components, derived components, sketches for skeleton modelling, etc. Anywhere in the tree of the new assembly you can replace components with the command “replace component by copy”. You can perform this command while you edit the assembly in Inventor or in PSP under the right mouse click menu. If you replace an assembly or part with an attached IDW it will create a copy of that assembly or part and a copy of the accompanying IDW.

How do I get a structured drawing list, when the structure is defined by the 3D assembly?

The complete structure is always visible in PSP. You can see where an assembly or part is used (Usage tab) or what assembly or parts it uses (Uses tab). You can click in either tree al the way up to the top level assembly or all the way down to the bottom part. This information is all stored in the SQL database and can be shown in reports. You can create your own reports.

At the company I currently work for we have customised several reports. Standard you have three types of reports. A BOM, a summarised BOM and a structured BOM. The BOM replaces the parts list that is normally shown on a drawing. It shows the product number, description, material, length, mass, etc. It even shows the document number of accompanying IDW.

The summarised BOM is exactly what is says. Its shows the total amount of each part in one big list (For instance, you can see the total amount of a particular bolt or nut needed for the complete machine).

The structured BOM shows the complete tree of an assembly with all parts used at the different levels.

How do I use projects to handle a large assembly with 1000's of subparts.

The short answer is you can, it all depends on the way you work in your company. The largest assembly I’ve created had 22617 parts of which 2445 where unique. I had no problem managing it. You have to speak with your supplier what is the best method for you to work with PSP. Do you use Items or just Engineering documents? Do you need a coupling with ERP? There is no universal answer for your question.

How do I makes searches within a project with sub projects?... "Find all drawings in given project and sub projects"

Basic report functionality. No problem. We have a special function for assemblies. You right click an assembly and you can print all the underlying documents or export them to PDF or DWF. Just with a few mouse clicks. If you are just looking for a particular document you can also use the very extensive search utility. You can search your document on almost everything. Who created it at what date, file size, title, document type, when it was released or outdated. You name it.

Kind regards,

Martin van den Berg

The Netherlands

Regards,
Martin van den Berg
Message 13 of 15
mvdberg

I don't know all the differences between both Productstream versions. I've worked with Vault but never with Productstream. I've only seen a demo. You can start with Vault and then upgrade to Productstream, which will give you a lot more functionality.

Productstream Pro (PSP) was developed separately in Europe (Germany) before Autodesk bought it. It used to be called Compass. As far as I know PSP is not available in the US. Underneath, both programs are completely different, although a lot of features are the same. If I have to place PSP, I would say that PSP is slightly more advanced and more customisable. Fortunately both programs are still being developed. If you are happy with Productstream and it suits your needs, you should stick with it. I don’t think it is bad program.

Kind regards,

Martin van den Berg

Regards,
Martin van den Berg
Message 14 of 15
cadmageren

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply. It seems that you are quite pleased with the program and have been working with it for a while.

In our company, we need the system for every thing from detailed machine design, to building layouts and PI Diagrams.

I know there will always be a learning curve when adapting a new PDM system. I come from a "normal" Vault/Productstream environment.
Besides the many many many mouseclicks necessary to perform even the simplest actions, my biggest concern is that the users by mistake start to mix different projects, and make uncontrolled changes in each others work.

In Vault, it was kind of nice that I had all my project specific design in a seperate folder. Here everthing is a question of linking and unlinking between "Projects"

For instance if I have a machine design in one projectfolder, and decide to replace one of the components - I have to manually afterwards unlink the original and link the new part. From my point of view, this should at least be done automatically.
Also if I from Inventor create a new component, it is not automatically linked to my project.

What is your company working with, and for how long time have you been using PSP?

Best Regards
Michael Christoffersen
cadmageren@gmail.com
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Have an old system running with compass 2005 pro and SQL 2005. Now i just put the com[plete system in a virtual box on a new comp.

So far all running fine, also SQL server, but i can't log on to the compass anymore.

Always a message come "Compass pro could not log you on to the system. Check username and password

anyone can help?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report