Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProductStream locks up

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tommam
297 Views, 6 Replies

ProductStream locks up

Starting on Monday, we have a set of users that can't get into the Item Master. If they start up ProductStream client, log in and click on the Item Master icon, they get an hourglass and it never comes back. In Task Manager, it says the program isn't responding. Last week, nobody had any trouble getting in. Also, they can get into Vault Explorer (from ProductStream), just not the Item Master. And this is only for a certain database. We have two databases and everyone can get into the second one. If a particular user can't get in, but they login on my computer, they can get in. If I login on their computer, I can't get in, even though I can on my own computer. So it sounds like it has to do with the particular computer, but also the database. As far as we know, nothing changed over the weekend. We are running PS2008. Has anyone seen this? Any idea how to fix it? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lancasterm
in reply to: tommam

Not sure if this is the problem or not, but by chance were these individuals running an extended desktop and now they are not? I had an instance where a ProductStream window was moved over to the extended desktop and then the user switch back to a single monitor. So every time that window try to come up it was displaying it on the extended desktop side, thus ProductStream appeared to be locked up or not responding. But that person could log onto another PC and it worked fine.

Just a thought....
Message 3 of 7
tommam

I know what you mean, I've seen this before. I've seen it on my own machine when I remote into it. My machine has an extended monitor, but the remote session doesn't see it. However, that isn't the problem here. The users haven't changed their monitors and don't see any other messages. We've noticed that if you wait long enough, an "Error 109" does appear. When we look in the logs, it says there was a timeout. So the real issue appears to be that some users' machines are very slow talking to the server and others are very fast. Again, not sure what changed and why some users are different than others.
Message 4 of 7
Lancasterm

Have you tried increasing the timeout vaules per the advanced configuration guide (page 48)? We double the settings per Autodesk recommendation since we were having numerous timeouts.

I was also told if you ping the server from the PC and if the reply was over a certain "ms" respond time then you network has some problems. But I can not remember what that respond time was.

Also are you running wireless? We have trouble with laptops running wireless and accessing ProductStream.

Last reboot of server?

Are you running SQL Express or full version?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Please post the ADMS log file. That might shed some
more light into the problem.

Thanks,

Ajay Choudhary

Autodesk

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
know what you mean, I've seen this before. I've seen it on my own machine when
I remote into it. My machine has an extended monitor, but the remote session
doesn't see it. However, that isn't the problem here. The users haven't
changed their monitors and don't see any other messages. We've noticed that if
you wait long enough, an "Error 109" does appear. When we look in the logs, it
says there was a timeout. So the real issue appears to be that some users'
machines are very slow talking to the server and others are very fast. Again,
not sure what changed and why some users are different than
others.
Message 6 of 7
tommam

We found a solution. In the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\Productstream 2008\Servers\\Vaults\\Objects" is a set of files that holds various user settings for ProductStream. I copied a set of these from a good machine to the machines that were having problems and the users could run again. I'm not sure what setting in there caused the system to be so slow, I would like to find out one day. But at least we have a way of getting people back up and running.
Message 7 of 7
tommam

We found a solution. In the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Application Data\Autodesk\Productstream 2008\Servers\~servername~\Vaults\~dbname~\Objects" is a set of files that holds various user settings for ProductStream. I copied a set of these from a good machine to the machines that were having problems and the users could run again. I'm not sure what setting in there caused the system to be so slow, I would like to find out one day. But at least we have a way of getting people back up and running.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report