Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Productstream 2009 'next release' license requirement

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
gradcliffe
301 Views, 9 Replies

Productstream 2009 'next release' license requirement

In the box with Inventor Suite 2009, there is a 5x7 folded card titled "Autodesk Data Management Server Installation Quick Start."

It says:
"With the next Productstream release, a Productstream license will be required for each client accessing a Productstream server. New and existing installations of Productstream 2009 must conform with this rule either before, or upon upgrading to the next release."

If I have Inventor workstations accessing a Productstream server, but they only access the server for Vault purposes, will those workstations require a new Productstream license? If I'm reading that paragraph right, they will.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
billco-mfg
in reply to: gradcliffe

If that is the case, they need to give me a way to downgrade to the regular ADMS format.

I hope they just mean that PS will no longer be functioning on the honor system. Right now, there is nothing to prevent you from buying only one seat of Reviewer and using it throughout a company as Reviewer and Creator.
Message 3 of 10
gradcliffe

> If that is the case, they need to give me a way to downgrade to the regular ADMS format.

Same here. I might need to create a new Vault, fill it with Autoloader, and just accept the loss of my Item Master data and old versions.

If EVERY client will need a Productstream license (even Vault-only clients), that is unacceptable for me. I'd like to get my PS exit strategy going now, while there's time to make an easier transition. ADSK- can we get an answer?
Message 4 of 10
gradcliffe

I just got word from my VAR. They say my interpretation is correct. We will have to buy Productstream licenses for EVERY client that accesses the PS server, even if the client only uses the Vault features of the server.

Further discussions between Autodesk and my VAR are happening now. I hope to have a firm answer before this time next year. 😉
Message 5 of 10
billco-mfg

That is ridiculous. I really hope they plan on providing a way to let PS users to migrate their databases to a regular Vault. Otherwise, they're pretty much holding your database for a ransom. In our case it will be around $6000, plus the additional subscription costs.
Message 6 of 10
ScottMe

Did either of you hear anything more about this. I just recommended P.S. to my company but that was based on not having to buy more than 3 seats of creator. If I need one for each user, I will have to explorer other alternatives or just use vault.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Anything new on this?

Can this be clarified:
"With the next productstream release, a productstream license will be required for each client accessing a productstream server."

Does a license of Productstream explorer (web based) suffice as a license, allowing access via Vault explorer to the Productstream server? Edited by: ThomasRambach on Oct 28, 2008 10:15 AM
Message 8 of 10
ScottMe

A license is required for each seat of Inventor, Acad, etc. The explorer is no longer a seperate package but included with ProductStream. It is a real bummer and not a good way to encourage use of the product. Explorer does not count as a license.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I am not a lawyer (I am a software developer), but my understanding of this
is:

Any client (Inventor, AutoCAD, Productstream, Vault Explorer, etc) talking
to the Productstream server is using a Productstream license, and this
license is shared among the applications you are running on your seat. So
for instance, only 1 license is used when you run both the PS client and
Inventor on your machine and have both using the Productstrean server at the
same time.

In Productstream 2009, web-based access via Productstream explorer is
bundled with Productstream and does not use up any of your licenses at all
(it is unlimited). So using it does not grant you a license to be accessing
the server from Inventor, AutoCAD, Explorer, etc (they use a license as
described above). I believe prior to 2009, Productstream explorer was sold
as a seperate product and you had to buy "packs" of licenses that were
independant of your Productstream licenses.

Hope this helps,

Dave Mink
Autodesk / Data Management.
Message 10 of 10
jeff

Dave, I think you are pretty close on your description of the licenses. There is, however, "the rest of the story" on the new licensing policy.

Autodesk threw out the bone that Reader in eassence becomes free through the Web based client. They also throw a somewhat illusary bone by making the PS Client licenses shared, so you only need licenses for concurrent users and not seats.

But other than that, the new rules are plain: one $1700 license per concurrent user to even connect to a Product Stream server.

Gotcha!

Some years ago, we bought PS. We bought three seats of Creator, and five of Reviewer. ($7,000) We figured we'd need three people editing the PS portion of the data. Our VAR told us we didn't need PS licenses to just use the Vault portion of a PS server.

Autodesk told us not so - after the "new way" came up. They said it has always been this way. Of course, nothing in their EULA mentioned it, no simple code tested the client for compliance, they didn't seem to explain the policy to their VARs, and they didn't put two and two together on the disparity in what the VARS were selling. So while their words now say they are only enforcing what has been their policy forever, their past BEHAVIOR tells a very different story.

And that story goes like this: set the hook in terms of market acceptance and then change the rules.

Fortunately, we got hyperbusy and never implemented PS. We were just beginning when we learned about the "new way". For us, the new rules would have cost an extra $30,000. That decision was easy: ain't worth it. For once, my failing to get something done looks smart.

During the last recession, Autodesk starting sunsetting licenses for upgrades. During this one they pull this PS bait and switch. I have a new definition for how you know you are in a recession: ADESK starts cannibalizing their customer's good will for an "enhanced revenue model".

Very disappointing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report