Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with .idw document saving in Inventor Vault Add-in

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
petr.vanek
664 Views, 7 Replies

Problem with .idw document saving in Inventor Vault Add-in

Hi all,
we have got issue, which has been published here yet, but without any solution.

Problem is: Inventor hangs on .idw document saving.

This issue I've seen in Vault Basic 2015, in Vault Professional 2014 and in
Vault Professional 2015 too. Client PCs were with Widows 7 or Windows 8 OS.

Workflow is here:
- Vault user check out from Vault some .ipt and it's .idw document into Inventor
- user make some changes on the .idw document and SAVE that document via Inventor icon "SAVE"
- after that this user wants to check in .idw back into the Vault via Vault icon "Check in"
- Vault Add-in in Inventor requests the saving .idw, so user save .idw again
- after that user again wants to use Vault icon "Check in"
- Vault Add-in in Inventor requests the saving .idw so user save .idw again
- at this moment Inventor keeps making on document saving - endless loop

Do you happen to have some solution or workflow how we could avoid to this frustating defect?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sonenberg
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tmoney2007
in reply to: petr.vanek

Does this happen on one file, a set of files or all of the files in your vault?

I've seen this happen when the views need to be rebuilt. Sometimes a component in an assembly several levels down has an issue that causes it to fail to rebuild but you don't get a notification. This causes the top level drawing to need a rebuild but it can't complete.

Is there any ilogic in the drawing or the files referenced by the drawing? Sometimes those can get stuck in a loop that makes a change to the file every time after it saves (so it is constantly "dirty" and in need of a save.

Message 3 of 8
Lancasterm

I assume your Inventor parts check in without issues.   Are you getting any message?   For a test (and I know this is not the perferred method), use the Vault client to check it in.  Does that work?

Message 4 of 8
petr.vanek
in reply to: tmoney2007

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our problem.

Well, that issue I can notice in various type of the model and it’s .idw, i.e. .ipt and .iam. It’s possible to do it with only one simple .ipt and its .idw too.

We haven’t got  cases with ilogic drawing – we don’t used to it.

This issue (Inventor hangs on .idw saving)  has done within Vault Basic and Vault Professional too. I’ve saw it in Vault with default client check in dialogs (Basic) and in Vault

with set up client check in dialog too (Professional).

I hope the information above help you.

Don´t hesitate to contact me if needed.

Have a nice weekend and have fine today.

Peter Vanek

Sonenberg
Message 5 of 8
petr.vanek
in reply to: Lancasterm

Hello,
thank you for your tests. Do you use the workflow which I've described? It is Inventor Add-in Vault
client and its checkin icons with Invetor Save icon?
I'm afraid it isn't good decision to use Vault Explorer for .ipt and .idw checkin to the Vault.
I think the Vault write out message "...you can't to do it, use CAD application, which .ipt/.idw created".

Enjoy your day.

Sonenberg
Message 6 of 8
Lancasterm

Yes I know that's not the perferred method and you would also need to uncheck the "disable check-in of design files".  However I ran across this same thing a few weeks agao and once I checked the idw in using the Vault client I was able to check out/in using the Vault add-in inside of Inventor without any issues.

Message 7 of 8
petr.vanek
in reply to: Lancasterm

Hello,

so, I send you workflow which describe, how you can get Inventor and its Valt Add-in into
endless saving loop. There is .pdf file in the attachment.
A lot of Vault customers got used to working this way in the Inventor. These customers have
that problems then.

I have noticed one interesting feature.
I've opened - checked-out .aim and its .ipt/.idw "en bloc" in the workflow (.pdf file in attachment). Notice that
Inventor "address" our .idw (002172.idw) as a "Drawing.idw" (i.e. as a "Vykres.idw" in our
local-language version) when I've edit 002172.idw. There could be 002172.idw there (upper lath) correctly, couldn't there?

If you open together (en block) only 002172.ip and its 002172.idw in the Inventor, you'll see "002172.idw" then
you will edit it, no nameless "Drawing.idw". When you can see "002172.idw" (for example) overhead.
And you can save your .idw and its .ipt without problem.
Note.: Excuse me, if there is "Design.idw" in the Inventor, I haven't got English Inventor version.
I think if you can see "Drawing.idw" after "en block" check-out from the Valt, you aspire to our "endless saving loop".

If I'am in the right, why the Inventor + Vault Add-in have two way of behaviour?

Could you get me any advice, there is something wrong? Or else, could you describe the right workflow?
I mean the workflow when somebody need to edit item (part) designs .idw of some assembly? It is only to
edit some tables, text, comments or to add some dimensioning. It is work on the drawing without changes of the model or
its relationship.

Thank you for advice you can provide.
I wish truly merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you.

Sonenberg
Message 8 of 8
petr.vanek
in reply to: tmoney2007

Hello, could you read my last notice to the problem -> 12-23-2014 12:52 AM? Thank you very much. Enjoy your day.
Sonenberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report