Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preview ipn files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CAD-One
411 Views, 7 Replies

preview ipn files

Why can't preview ipn files in vault?

I does preview ipt & iams.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: CAD-One

Do you see any error while viewing them? We may need more information on this issue if you can provide. May be a video showing the workflow. 

Also when you export the IPN as DWF from Inventor do you see them properly?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 8
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

The preview window in Vault can't preview IPTs and IAMs, it previews DWF files created of those files. It can't natively preview Inventor files. So if there isn't a generated DWF of the IPN file alongside it created on check-in, it won't be able to preview anything. I'm not at a Vault station to check, but I'm not 100% sure if Inventor even generates DWF files of the IPNs when they're checked in. And unfortunately, Inventor View can't even open IPN files so you can't even right click and use "View In Window".
Message 4 of 8
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: Neil_Cross

DWF gets created for IPN files during Check-in. If you want to see the animation ensure you check the option in DWF settings.

Have a look at this video showing DWF for IPN with animation.

http://www.screencast.com/t/TepVfC3pbRD

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
CAD-One
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Here is the error. So, from messages below from Neil appears we can't produce a .DWF file for ipn files So i guess we we should expet this in the future releases then.

Capture.PNG

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 8
CAD-One

Wait a minute !!! I see a DWF of a ipn from sendhil's video. Itake back my comments. We can produce dwf for ipns. cool.

Then, why cant this be done in vault?
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 7 of 8
Senthil_Kumar

Sorry I am not getting your point - " why cant this be done in vault?".

DWF creation during check-in is possible. You can also use Update View command to create DWF inside Vault Client.

You will see the error when DWF is not created for IPN. If you have DWF for IPN then the preview opens fine. Have a look at the attached images.

IPN with DWF.IPN With DWF.png

IPN without DWF.

IPN Without DWF.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
Neil_Cross

No I definitely didn't say you can't create DWFs of IPN files, reading back I didn't say anything even close to suggesting that.  I don't know where the confusion appears to have come from, but for clarity:

Vault can't view native CAD files, IPN being one of them.  Vault views DWFs.  If there's no DWF of the IPN then there's nothing to view, and that's what you're seeing in your error message.  There are no viewing applications able to read IPN files, you have to create a DWF alongside it.

Senthil has explained the issue and solution above ^^ that should resolve it.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report