Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent creation of doubling Item revisions (Changing released Item revs)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
245 Views, 11 Replies

Prevent creation of doubling Item revisions (Changing released Item revs)

After investigating several issues caused by doubing Item revisions (created by using "Skip Revision Bump" option) our company's managment asked us (CAD department) to disable this option for users.

We've created the Vault Explorer Add-in that hooks Create Item window with option "Skip Revision Bump" enabled and blocks its acception.

It works fine but .... some time ago we discovered that user could change Item revision even without "Skip Revision Bump".

Steps are:

1. Change Item state to Obsolete

2. Change Item state to WIP.

Is it ok that user could change Released Item revision ?

I think NO but would like to hear some comment from developers.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

I'm not a developer, but just an opinion here.  If you have disabled the Skip Revision Bump, and you have users going out of their way to find a way to skip the revision bump by the procedure you mentioned... that is a disciplinary issue.  My opinion.

Message 3 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: cbenner

Yes it is

Our first step was to ban skip revision bump...

Don't know why but users what to hide changes that they think are minor.
Thus bans don't work here and that is why we were asked to make some
"interlock".

So we need some technical ( not just organization solution).

It is too costly to solve consequences of user mistakes.
Message 4 of 12
minkd

You could add security to the transition from released to obsolete so that only certain users (or no-one) can perform that transition.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: minkd

Message 6 of 12
cbenner

@Maxim-CADman77 wrote:
Yes it is

So we need some technical ( not just organization solution).

It is too costly to solve consequences of user mistakes.

You'll have to forgive me, since I became a supervisor I can't help but think of the organizational solutions as well as technical.  I see something like this and my first thought is to kick some....  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 12
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: cbenner

Me too .... but I'm not allowed to
Message 8 of 12

Could you, please, give a hint where could I set such limitation?

PS: As far as I’m not happy from idea to be the only administrator to be able to delete defective Items (move to Obsolete) I think it worth to limit to administrator role not transition Released>Obsolete but Obsolete>WIP.

Message 9 of 12
cbenner

One way I can think of is to restrict lifecycle changes to Change Orders.  On the Change Orders tab of the Vaule Settings.  Checking this box makes it so only the Admin can overide the lifecycle changes outside of a change order.

Message 10 of 12
Maxim-CADman77

Dave, could you please detalize a bit your vision of  implementation the idea "You could add security to the transition from released to obsolete so that only certain users (or no-one) can perform that transition."?

Message 11 of 12
minkd

Unfortunately, the capability I was refering to is in 2015-R2, which was only recently announced and is in the process of going live.

One of the features is that items now use the same lifecycle engine as files, so the lifecycle is now configurable so security can be added to transitions, etc; just like you can do with files.

I had been working on that release for a while so I accidently (and mistakenly) started to think it was part of 2015 - sorry.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 12
Maxim-CADman77

Ok. I've added bump revision to state change Obsolete > WIP...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report