Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical filename /logical file name

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
FloraSeymour
822 Views, 10 Replies

Physical filename /logical file name

An autodesk user  has deleted some files from Autodesk in error.  We do not want to restore the whole system.  We know the logical name of the file but do not know how to map it to a physical file name.  If I knew the physical file we could restore it to a temporary area and then set it up again in Autodesk . I have restored the Autodesk SQL database to a temporary area prior to the delete. Is there a SQL query I can run to find out what the physical path/files name is for the logical file that was deleted in error ? (I am a DBA and have no real Autodesk experience).

Thanks

Flora

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ihayesjr
in reply to: FloraSeymour

I would recommend that you perform a full restore on a separate system and pull the files that way.  This will be the easiest less accident prone way to get the files you need.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 11
FloraSeymour
in reply to: ihayesjr

Gee...  That would mean finding a place to restore almost 400gigs of files and  when I am only missing 2.  If I could only find out the path/file name,  it would be so easy to restore the 2 files to a temporarary area.  Any other thoughts on this ?   I guess If full restore is only way so be it ..   Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
FloraSeymour

..btw.. to clrifiy, the missing filess were deleted using Autodesk.. not at os level or anything like that ... so I am not trying to re-piece something back togther outside the system.. just want to restore the file to a temp area and then the users will put in back in autodesk using autodesk.
Message 5 of 11
cbenner

I agree with Isaac, mostly because I know he knows what he's talking about... a lot more than I do.

btw.. Autodesk is the company name, not the software name.  Autodesk has many different software titles, including Vault.  Were the files deleted using Vault software, or one of the many CAD software titles?  Based on where you posted I think we're assuming Vault.

Message 6 of 11
FloraSeymour

.. sorry .. yes its Vault. As you can tell I have pretty much no experience with the software. Thanks for straightening me out  🙂

Message 7 of 11
ihayesjr

Here is another option.

1. Install Vault on a separate server.
  2. Pull the databases from the last backup.
  3. Restore the databases using SQL Management Studio.
  4. Detach the databases from SQL Management Studio.
  5. Open the ADMS Console and attach the Master Vault then the Vault databases.
  6. It will ask about a file store but connect it to an empty folder (name the folder the name of the Vault)
  7. Use a client to connect to the server and find the files missing.
  8. Attempt to perform a Get on the files, it will obviously fail since you didn't restore the file store.
  9. Look at the ADMS Console vlog file, and it will tell you the name of the file in the file store.
  10. Go and find that file in the file store backup and copy it.
  11. Rename the files to the original name and have the user check them back into the Vault with the CAD application.

All of the previous records will be lost but you will at least have the latest version of the file.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
FloraSeymour
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thanks ..that ‘s a lot better than restoring the whole thing! Is there a reason there is not a query that can just haul this from the database .. maybe everything required to come up with phys file&path is not stored in the database ? or its too complex ? or proprietary? (sorry if I am sounding a bit pushy … but I don’t mean it that way .. just trying to understand this stuff 🙂
Message 9 of 11
ihayesjr

While you could query it from the database, it is complex and we don't support directly accesses the database, although you would be doing it on a temperary setup.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
FloraSeymour

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
dmmm

Another thought.... is the file in another user's local workspace?

If anyone has used it recently you could just check it back in from a local copy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report