Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Reference Repair Utility .xml file in Excel

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
karthur1
1245 Views, 28 Replies

Opening Reference Repair Utility .xml file in Excel

After I ran the scan, I want to open and view the .xml.  I start Excel and the chose file>Open and browse to the .xml file.

Excel then give me a dialog to:

2012-12-19_2158.png

The "read-only workbook" will open and show the different columns, but it is read-only.  The other two are are blank worksheets when it opens.  Which one should I be using?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
achintam
in reply to: karthur1

Please use the first option in the list and if you are seeing an empty (you might still see a row with text, Please do not delete the values of any cell in this row) spreadsheet, it means that the folder that you have selected for scanning has no files that are missing references.

Thanks

Anil Chintamaneni (Autodesk)

Message 3 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: achintam

Anil,

The read-only shows several items with missing references, but the other two are blank.

Message 4 of 29
achintam

What version of Excel are you using?  Also, can you please e-mail me (firstname.lastname@autodesk.com) your XML file?

Thanks

Message 5 of 29
karthur1

Using Excel 2003.  I tried to import the references back with this .xml file, but it gave me an error.  From what I can tell there is only one missing reference in this file.  I checked vault and indeed this file is missing a reference.

2012-12-20_2134.png

Attached are a couple .xml files that were generated when I ran the repair utility.

Message 6 of 29

There's an extra space after '-FIN' in your commandline:

-FIN "c:\localhost_vault_2012-12-15-22-20.xml"

Could you remove the space and try again, i.e

-FIN"c:\localhost_vault_2012-12-15-22-20.xml"

--

Kit

Ying Kit
Message 7 of 29

Kit,

I will try that. Thanks

Here at work I have Excel 2007.  When I open the .xml files, (use the "Open as .xml table), I also get a second window "The specified XML source does not refer to a schema....).  I dont get that at home using Excel2003.

The table opens fine here with Excel 2007 and I can edit the table. Looking at the xml file where I scanned one of my main folders there are hundreds of missing references.  Could this be because of me running a purge command and not knowing that I was damaging my data?

Rather than editing the table and trying to enter the location for the missing reference, would it not be easier to just open the file with the missing reference, check it out, save it and check it back in?

Thanks

Kirk

Message 8 of 29
achintam

Kirk,

Looks like you are having issues with Excel 2003.  While we try and reproduce your issue with Excel 2003, please use Excel 2007 for editing the Reference Table (XML file).

It is impossible to know whether the missing references were caused by Purge or some other workflows... for example, the references may have been deleted from Vault by a user, parents were added to Vault from Vault Explorer but not from the CAD application, etc.

The table allows you to repair historical versions, whereas Check Out and Check In fixes latest version.

Thanks

Message 9 of 29
karthur1

I am the only one that uses this vault.  The ONLY data in this vault is from Inventor.  As far as I know, it is now impossible to add the data from VE, you have to go through the application.  The only thing that could have done this would be the purge command.

I am not interested in historical versions, I just want the current versions to have good relationships.  IF they dont, that causes trouble when I am doing copy design since it doesnt gather all the related files.

I will eventually purge out all of the older versions and only keep the latest version of the file.

Message 10 of 29
minkd

If you only care about tips, then just run the manual repair utility on the tips (there is an option for that).

From there, you can either import recommended fixes, or you can checkout and checkin the parents with the CAD system.  Either way will result in correct references for the tips.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: minkd

Dave,

What are the "tips" you mention in your post?

Anil,

I finally got the command line correct.  I mean, I guess I did cause I did not get any error back.  How do I know when the command is complete?  Will I get a message or something?

In the wikihelp for the reference repair utility, it really needs to say that you have to change to the ..Autodesk\ADMS 2013\ADMS Console direcctory in order for the command to work.  I had to change to that directory anyway.

Kirk

Message 12 of 29
achintam

Kirk,

By tips, Dave means tip versions of files.  By default, the Reference Repair utility scans tip versions, Released versions and versions associated with Released Items.  If you've checked the box "Process all versions of files" the utility scans all versions of files in the selected folder.

While importing references via the commandline, you will know that the command is done when the command prompt returns to input mode.  This operation is usually very fast, so you might notice that the command prompt returns to input mode immediately.

Commandline access to ADMS Console is not new and the related content can be found at the following location on the Wiki.  That is why, information about changing directories is not mentioned in the content for Reference Repair Utility.  We could have provided link to the content about commandline access to ADMS Console though.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0097-Administ97/0098-Autodesk98/0141-Command_141

Thanks

Message 13 of 29
karthur1

Anil,

If I edit the .XML file in excel and change the filename in the "Matching_Ref_In_Vault", do I also have to change the "Ref_Version"?  If No, do I just remove the ??? in that column or just leave it there?

Message 14 of 29

Hi Kirk,

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to do here, but it sounds like you are trying to change the missing reference to another file? Otherwise, the scan should return you a list of matching references for you to choose from and you should really be placing 'TRUE' in the Accept column against the reference that you would like to fix the reference to.

And in your case, if it's showing ???, I'm guessing no reference is found that matches the missing reference?

In any case, the equivalent version that you'd like to fix your missing reference to should be entered into the "Ref_Version" column. Even so, it also need to pass the criteria that the checked in date of the reference is older than that of its parent before it will be fixed.

But again, I strongly advice against tweaking any other values in the spreadsheet except the Accept column to fix your references.

Thanks

--

Kit

Ying Kit
Message 15 of 29

When I run the scan, here is a screen shot of what I am seeing when I open the file in excel.

2013-01-29_0715.png

I added the text in row 17 and 18 in the "Matching Ref In Vault" column.  In order for me to enter the "Ref Version", I will have to refer to the file via Vault Explorer to determine the current version... correct? I don't know of another way to find the current version.

Then I also have to enter "TRUE" for each entry that I edit?

These three columns are the ONLY ones that I am touching.  The others are left as-is.

Message 16 of 29

Hi Kirk,

Here's my take on your situation...

First of all, I suppose you are referring to row 12 & 13 (rows with purple edits).

The fact that the Repair tool is returning ??? instead of what you manually entered in purple indicates that none of the versions of these files has a Checked In date earlier than the version of the parent that you are trying to fix, i.e. version 2 of both 732051.idw and 732132.idw, can you check this?

As mentioned in my earlier reply, the repair will only work for repairing a version of the reference whose Checked In date is earlier than the version of the parent file. And even if you you enter those purple inputs manually, upon attempting to run the manual healing, the relationship will still not be established.

If you are able to find a version of the reference whose Checked In date is earlier than the version of the parent file, then you are correct in entering the respective version of the references in the "Ref Version" column. However, if this is the case, then I wonder why the scan is unable to automatically populate the "Matching Ref In Vault" column.

Let me know your result to the above questions first. If it proves to be the last case, then I may need you to provide a few screen shots for further verification.

Thanks

--

Kit

Ying Kit
Message 17 of 29

@yingkit(Autodesk) wrote:

The fact that the Repair tool is returning ??? instead of what you manually entered in purple indicates that none of the versions of these files has a Checked In date earlier than the version of the parent that you are trying to fix, i.e. version 2 of both 732051.idw and 732132.idw, can you check this?

Kit,

On the 732051.idw, From Vault Explorer, Uses tab, does not show it "using" any file, but I know that it does in fact use 732051.ipt. Checked in date on 732051.idw, version 2 is 12/6/2007. Version 1 of 732051.idw is dated 11/29/2007.

On the 732051.ipt, it has 6 versions (version 3 thru 8).  Ver 3 is dated 12/7/2007 and version 8 is 8/13/2012.

Since the earliest date on the ipt is later than the idw, it guess that is what you are saying is why it does not automatically fix the reference.

I want the latest version of 732051.ipt to be associated with the latest version of 732051.idw.  I am not trying to capture version history.

If you need some other screen captures, just tell me what you need.

Thanks

Kirk

Message 18 of 29
minkd

Kirk, if all you care about is making sure the references are correct for the tip versions, and the tool is unable to restore a reference to existing child versions, then your best bet is to just checkout the parent and check it in via the Inventor add-in.  The new parent version will have correct references after that.

The repair utiilty is useful for finding missing references. Some of those can be restored (via the import) without creating new versions of anything. This is particularly important if you are using revisioning and want to avoid file resolution issues when you get a historical revision from vault.  But if it won't cause any issues with your process to simply checkout and checkin the parents, then by all means do that!

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: minkd

I am trying to import in the .xml file and cant seem to get the command line correct.  When I tried this before, I had an extra space after the -FIN, but I corrected that.  After I import this, I will just use Inventor to correct the tips with the missing references.

I have checked and double checked the command line and it looks correct, but it still gives me an error when it runs.

See the attached screen shot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 20 of 29
Senthil_Kumar

It looks correct to me as well. Anyway I tried the same with a Batch file and I am attaching the Batch file as well.

1. Edit it to include the Password

2. Copy it to ADMS Exe location and trying running it

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report