Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Item for Several Files needed

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MaxU77
665 Views, 7 Replies

One Item for Several Files needed

I wonder how it is recommended to treat models of the same component in several deformed conditions Rivets, Rubber sealing rings etc.

Let take rivet.

The same rivet can be used to stitch two metal sheets of different total thickness. For example 2mm; 2.5mm; 3mm

Each rivet being inserted to particular assembly represents only particular final length. When we assign Items to assembly only first rivet is being treated correctly (Item Number = Part Number) all the rest of model get meaningless Item numbers like 100018; 100019 etc. which makes further creating BOM the real pain.

I hoped that attaching those extra models to "correct" Item would solve the problem but it doesn’t Vault wants to create those incorrect Items for each rivet deformed differently to one the Item was assigned first.

MaxU77,
AI2011 Certified Associate
(Soft: PDSU2012, VP2012&VP2013)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mollons
in reply to: MaxU77

One way you can work around this is by creating the item ahead of time.

If you right click on the Item Master node and create a new item and assign it the correct item, when you assign item to the files, you shoudl be able to select auto-assign first duplicate and have the correct item number show up and be used for all instances.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 8
MaxU77
in reply to: mollons

I afraid I can't do what you write.

Create Item before time - I did it the Item number was something like 100020.

I then changet Item Number to meaningful one, let say "DIN 661 - B 8 x 38".

You've written "and assign it the correct item". Here is probably where is misunderstanding.

Can you explain a bit, because I skip this step and try Assign Item to an assembly containing that rivet in several deformed states and Vaul wants to create new Item to each of it.

Thanks in advance.

MaxU77,
Message 4 of 8
mollons

On the find duplicates step of assign item, right click in the cell for the rivet in the Replace With column. Select  "Select Replacement Item". Click the Find button. Search for the item number that you created ahead of time and double click it in the search results. Check the item's check box back in the Select Replacement Item dialog and click OK.

This will make it so that the rivet item will be assigned the item number you selected.

You then repeat for each instance of the rivet.

(see attached screenshot)

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
MaxU77
in reply to: mollons

Is there a way to replace Item in the BOM after it's creation?

MaxU77,
Message 6 of 8
mollons

You can go to an item which already has a file assigned, edit it, and remove the link.

You would then reassign item to the file and set it to the correct item number.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
MaxU77

OK. But then if there a way to determine whether any replacement were made to the particular assembly BOM or not?

MaxU77,
Message 8 of 8
mollons

You will need to run an updateon the assembly items.

However there isn;t any automatic way to tell which boms need updating or which have changed.

You will need to inspect the assembly boms ot make sure they are correct.

You coul duse the BOM compare functionality to compare the bom before and after the update.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report