Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbering Scheme Vault 2015 Pro

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ernest.lemoine
575 Views, 4 Replies

Numbering Scheme Vault 2015 Pro

I have created custom numbering formats in Vault for parts and asseblies with no problems. So, when I save a part or assembly in Inventor 2015, a dialogue box with my schemes pop up and forces a specific format. I have also created a scheme for drawing file .idw and .dwg as well in Vault. However, when I save a drawing file in Inventor the numbering scheme dialogue box does not pop up and allows the user to save the file with whatever they want, which is not what I want. 

Am I doing somethign wrong? Shouldn't there be a naming scheme for drawing files for the Vault as well so there are unique filenames for each file? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
swalton
in reply to: ernest.lemoine

I am using Vault 2014 with IV 2014, so my results may be a bit different than yours.

When I create an idw, IV assigns the file name of the component in the 1st placed base view to the idw file.  For example, if my part is 1234.ipt, and I place it in a new idw file, the idw is also named 1234.idw.  When I click the save button for the 1st time, IV displays the normal save dialog, so I have the option of renaming the print.  If I just hit enter, IV saves the idw with the default file name, otherwise I can type in whatever I need for that specific idw. 

I think this is a good balance because the easy workflow gives you both the component and the drawing of that component the same filename (and in our case, filename=part number).  A person can also make one-off names of drawings quickly, if necessary.

What advantage to you find with the component having one filename and the drawing having a separate one?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 5

I also employ what swalton does, but your workflow may not want this. IFrom memory if you turn this option on you get the Nmmbering Scheme popup when saving IDW files.

VAULT_IDW.jpg

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 4 of 5

Well my manufacturing company is currently using autocad for all drafting and we have a standard drawing naming convention. We are in the process of upgrading systems to inventor.

I design electrical substations. One structure within the substation may contain 15 separate assemblies. So I break out each assembly on one sheet with a corresponding parts list. This is probably a norm throughout anyone using inventor.

We require the beginning of the file name of the drawing be the year ordered. 15- (2015) then followed by the order number which is usually 4 digits. Then followed by the department in the company that designed it. Then a sequential numbering.

Ex. 15-1234CIV001...002...003 and so forth.

Every part in each assembly is pulled from our Content Center with a predefined file name. Since most of my employees are very new to the whole switch in systems, I am trying to make this as seamless as possible for them.

Does this help why I would want my file name to differ from the part inserted?
Message 5 of 5

Brenden,

I veiwed your post from a tablet this weekend and the picture you attached was not visible. I got to work this morning and this solved my issue. Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report