Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving released files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
hans.martin.haga
1192 Views, 2 Replies

Moving released files

Autodesk- what is your suggested workflow for moving released files in the Vault?

We have a customer who wants to move a colder containing released files, files inside the folder also reference other external folders with released files.

A move operation involves creating new versions of affected files, and as files in a released state is locked - the user receives an access denied message.

One workaround (tested and verified) is to allow an administrative account write and delete permissions on the released state. This, however, does not fit the workflow of the customer. We can not limit moving files to a single user, and we can not give administrative accounts to regular users.

Another workaround is to change the state of all the affected files to a "quick change" status. This, however, would include too much effort to identify all the affected files - tracing up and down the relationship tree.

As I see it, operations in the Vault which does not directly affect the DESIGN of the Inventor-files, should not be limited to USER permissions  - the Vault server itself should always have necessary permissions to perform regular vault operations.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

I've got a similuar problem where I have my test-parts in a Vault-folder for drafts. I work with the files in the test-folder until I'm happy with the design and then I move them to their correct position in the Vault file structure. My problem now is that I've got a part that is "Released" in Vault that I would like to move from one folder to another. Is there any way of doing this?

Message 3 of 3

Moving the file does not create a new version of the file or the files that are refferencing it (in most cases).

We block the move operation when the user does not have modifiy rights, because for many the context can be as imporant as the file data itself. For example if a specification document is in a project and is released, for many it would not be ok to move the document to a different project.

You are correct, one option would be to give a user modify access to the released state, then perform the move.

The other option would be to put the file in a 'Quick Change' state and then perform the move.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report