Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving iParts in Vault

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
r.smith1
2554 Views, 4 Replies

Moving iParts in Vault

A support request came in and wanted to share the outcome with the forums.

Moving iParts in Vault is difficult and presents you with errors.  We really need to move some iparts and their child parts/folders. Vault just says that it isn't allowed.

Response to follow in next post.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
r.smith1
in reply to: r.smith1

Use the Update File Reference command in Vault client before attempting your move of your files.
Move the iPart factory, be sure the iPart member folder moves with it.

If you try to move the folder or the member files, you will not be able to move the iPart.

If you have saved non iPart children in the iPart member folder, you may also generate errors.  Please move these non iPart member files from the iPart member folder and continue with move. 

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
mbaker

Ron,

Have recently run into this issue with an accout with this exact same issue, cannot move the iparts. I'm thinking in the example noted here in this string these i-Parts are not Library parts, but are just created in a Standard Vault folder. If that is in fact the case, then the move seems fairly easly after the reference upate. In the 2014 product level the error "Not able to Move..." appears, but it goes forward with the Factory and Child Folder move. Not sure why the error re-appears, but no matter it did move the files.

This exposes the next issue, I have alwasy thought that I-Parts should be considered as Library files and should live in a library folder within the Vault enviroment, but this presents a problem if new Members need to be added. One cannot edit unless a modified project file is created that swaps the library folder definition to a standard folder definition. I'm starting to think this is a bad process, and in the real world these iparts should be normal (non-library) and just checked out buy a user known as Librarian. Sure makes it easier to move them about, the only other option would be to publish to a Content Center r/w library and that seems to be a good idea as well. I'm definitly having concerns as to which is the best method... of course it is dependent on Vault or No Vault...

Thoughts anyone?

Mike B

Message 4 of 5
mike.heape

Hi,

I tried the solution and it worked, however one of the member files became un-associated with the factory... (vault/inventor 2015) what's the solution to this?
Message 5 of 5
mike.heape
in reply to: mike.heape

solution is to use the "move to folder" in the edit tab instead of dropping and dragging. this magically prevents members becoming unlinked Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report