Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving file when state change

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
pablodipi
355 Views, 4 Replies

Moving file when state change

Hello, we are new in vault professional, we search in this forum but no find the answer to:

How can we move a file to a forlder when its state is released? we intend to trigger it when the state to released is selected.

Any guide autodesk?

Thanks in advance

Pablo

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
smithmat
in reply to: pablodipi

If you gave us a better understanding of *why* you want to do that, you might get better answers.

That said, one way I think you could achieve what you want is through an extension that uses "Web Service Command Events".  See:

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2011/04/faq-events.html 

- Matt

Message 3 of 5
pablodipi
in reply to: smithmat

Thank for your reply. I thought it was simple to do without using web services..

Its just the way our engineering department work. They want to move automatically a file to other folder (folder released) when its state is changed to "released". Dont know if its the best way, but its their way.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
olearya
in reply to: pablodipi

Hi Pablo, 

The idea of moving files to a new folder when they are released is a legacy process of Windows explorer and was typically done to control designer and downstream user access to files (Different folder security settings in windows can be applied to control access).

Using Vault Workgroup or Vault Professional with document lifecycles allows users to leave the files in the same place and control access through the file state making access simpler, reducing potential security lapses and better managing file references.

Moving files within Vault can be done manually, but may impact long term database performance if carried out excessively. 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
pablodipi
in reply to: olearya

Thanks for your reply!

Perfect, you are right.

I will try to explaing this to our engineers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report