Vault General Discussion

Vault General Discussion

Contributor
mikew
Message 1 of 6 (172 Views)

Moving an assembly file and it's children in Vault

172 Views, 5 Replies
10-08-2009 09:36 AM
I have an assembly in a folder in vault that i want to move including the part files that belong to it and (if possible) the drawing files associated with it. You see this folder has a ton of junk in it and i want to clean it up. I figured the best way to start would be to click on the assembly file, go to the "uses" tab and drag and drop the pertinant files into my new folder. Then go back and get the drawing files (no junk drawing files) and move them. But Vault wont let you do that. Is there some way to isolate these files and move them without clicking on them one at a time?

thanks for any help,
Mike Edited by: mikew@dunbarton.com on Oct 8, 2009 4:37 PM
Employee
youc
Message 2 of 6 (172 Views)

Re: Moving an assembly file and it's children in Vault

10-11-2009 07:23 PM in reply to: mikew
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, moving files from preview pane (Uses/Where Used tabs) is not supported. You may need to select one associated file under Uses tab, click on "Go to Folder" from context menu and move it from main grid to the target folder.
The workflow you've proposed makes sense and I'll send it to our design team. Hopefully your feedback can be considered in future release.

Thanks,
Carol (Autodesk)
Contributor
mikew
Message 3 of 6 (172 Views)

10-12-2009 07:15 AM in reply to: mikew
Thanks Carol, yea it would be nice to have this one on the wish list. there have been many times i've wanted to do a simaler thing, although not exactly this, from the "uses" tab and of coures ran into the same problem. I havent tried it in 2010 and was hoping it'd been changed, oh well.

Mike
Active Contributor
Gene.R
Message 4 of 6 (172 Views)

10-12-2009 11:08 AM in reply to: mikew
Mike
you can move multiple file from the results of a basic search window, use the "OR" operand to search multiple files (part1 or part2 or part3...)

Gene
Contributor
mikew
Message 5 of 6 (172 Views)

10-12-2009 11:13 AM in reply to: mikew
thanks Gene, is there a way to search for files used in a certain assembly, and then drag and drop them into the file i want?

thanks,
Mike
Active Contributor
Gene.R
Message 6 of 6 (172 Views)

10-12-2009 11:31 AM in reply to: mikew
No, you can only search properties, they would all need to include an assembly specific property like a "next assy" User Defined Property. and even that is limited if you have other files like pdf's and such.

Gene
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.