Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Existing Library to Content Center?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
clo-z-nuff
585 Views, 2 Replies

Move Existing Library to Content Center?

Hi all.  We are using Inv. Pro 2015 and Vault Basic 2015.  We have a group of about 12 that use the same Vault project file and have been using Inventor for about 7 years.  Content Center (imo) was very lacking when we started using Inventor so we have not considered using it until now.  That being said, our company "Library" currently contains 11,200 files many of which are IParts we created and customized. 

My question for the day is, if we now have Content Center located in our Vault, does it make sense to publish our existing Library folder to the Content Center?  I've attached our current vault structure.  Any advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of?  I will add that we plan to keep using fastener Ipart factories, etc because we simply do not have the time to re-assign custom properties to all of the content center files.

One thing I am particularly interested in is the fact that on a save or check in it is common occurance that we are asked to check out library parts (huh?).  Will moving the library under the content center location help with this?

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Neil_Cross
in reply to: clo-z-nuff

I guess different people will have differing opinions on this.  My take on it is as follows...

I see no point at all in publishing those 11,200 parts into the content centre, it'll be a phenominally large task to do that, it'll take an unjustifiable amount of time with very little to gain from it.  I say that because if most of these are iParts and their factory members are already generated, that's essentially all the content centre does and you've already done it.  Plus, they'll only end up back in the Vault anyway! If it was me I'd organise them into folders under your Content Center Files\en-US folder and file them in there.  People can then place them into their assemblies directly out of Vault.

With regards to your other quesstion, it probably won't help with that.  The libraries & content center files folders in Vault are essentially the same type of folder in Vault, just with a different name.  Providing that you have your IPJ folder paths set up correctly you'll have done all you can, there'll likely be a reason why Inventor wants to check them out so that I guess would be a separate issue to investigate.

Message 3 of 3
tmoney2007
in reply to: clo-z-nuff

I also agree that there wouldn't be much benefit to putting them into the content center. I'm not a big proponent for content center.

The only reason I think content center should be used is for the design accelerators (bolted connection, routed systems, frame generator.) Otherwise it is a leftover from before Vault and more of a pain than it is useful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report