Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrate 2008 data in 2011 vault.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
warrentdo
237 Views, 5 Replies

migrate 2008 data in 2011 vault.

We are having vault go slow problems and always have,

I have just noticed that the data in our 2011 vault has been created in 2008 inv meaning that the data has never been migrated.

I know that every new version of vault should be followed by a data migrate.

We are also thinking of upgrading our vault & inventor 2011 to 2013.

Can anyone suggest a work flow or any problems that we may be having.

Regards

Warren.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
olearya
in reply to: warrentdo

HI Warren,

The migration status of documents stored in Vault will not affect Vault performance - to be clear this is a CAD product issue.  More information on your migration options can be found here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0/0192-Data_Mig192

In terms of upgrading your Vault we also have some additional wiki information on this process:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0305-Vault_In305/0364-Upgrade_364

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
warrentdo
in reply to: olearya

Hello Allan and thank you for your reply. A little more information on my situation. Our assembiles (10-off) have between 2500 and 10000 parts. After more searching with design assistant I have found files dating back to 2006 (version 2008). We also have library files and I-factory parts. We are looking to upgrade to 2013 but I'm sure I've read that vault can only work with current version of file plus 2. We will have version plus 5. Our data store is 17 gig. In your opinion would you migrate? Thank you again for your advice. Warren.
Message 4 of 6
olearya

Hey Warren,

The limitations you are talking about are product support and "add-in" support - the actual software version we will support connection for, connecting Inventor 2011 to ADMS 2013 for example.  This however does not relate to the actual version of Inventor the file was last saved in. 

There are other considerations when it comes to migration like Inventor model performance but there are no Vault storage restrictions.  

I think it is likely a good idea to do some level of migration from the inventor performance perspective and I hope the wiki article I sent through sheds some more light on that, if possible you should do a little testing around migrated assemblies and decide if this is a sensible approach.

Hope this is clearer.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
warrentdo
in reply to: olearya

Hello Allan, thanks again for you help. The links are great. Thats made thing a little more clearer. We have two test machines set up with inventor 2011 (with back pack) to 2013 vault. Our intentions is to install 2013 inventor while still keeping 2011 when testings over. Everything does look good though. That's great that the version plus two is referring to 'add in support' only, that is a relief. Thank you for verifying that. I think your right, testing is required. Also I'm thinking of other methods to clean the vault as I'm estimating that 99% of it isn't used. The job has changed so much from the start. Maybe a master assembly of everything local (local machine permitting) New vault then add in. This would purge the unwanted, then a migrate? Or New vault add one assembly (add in) then autoload the rest? We could even purge the old vault but we would still have the old data left behind to slow the migrate. Thank you again for your help and if you have any thoughts let me have them 🙂 Warren
Message 6 of 6
olearya

Hey again,

I am always a little cautious of "starting over" with a vault - although this may be a good way to clean up your data and cut back on unused data, simply reloading latest also has the effect of removing all the document history so you lose design intent etc.

When it comes to reloading, in order to really be effective this would involve a lot of manual work to make sure you retrieve only the useful assemblies and references for loading. If you wanted to do this, I would "get" the files and their dependent a you want to keep, scan with auto loader to assure the data is clean, migrate it with design assistant and then auto load.

At the end of the day there is no real harm in leaving all the unused data where it is and migrating as you need to.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report