Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping Title property (Item/CO)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mbrandwijk
1178 Views, 7 Replies

Mapping Title property (Item/CO)

Why are there two mappings within the Title (item/co) property.

Mapping:

• Inventor Title to Vault Title (item/co) <--.-->
  •  Invntor Component name to Vault Title (item/co) <--

When a browser rename is done inside Inventor, this name is mapped to the Title (item/co) and apears on the Item.

Why is that the situation? and why two mappings?

can we delete the component name mapping? or is it there with a specific reason?

hope somebody can help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: mbrandwijk

Not sure why they went with 2 out of the box, but you can change the mapping to be anything you want it to be.  I map Title (Item C/O) to Inventor "Title", then populate that with =<project> so that whatever goes in the project iproperty populates that property in Vault.  Then I have Description (Item/CO) mapped to Inventor's "Subject" (because it wasn't being used for anything else)... and that I have set to =<description> to pick up the part or drawing's description field and send it to the Item.

Long story... short answer is you can map it to whatever works best for you.  😄

Message 3 of 8
lfmgtc59
in reply to: cbenner

When we set up our Inventor / Vault implementation, I was using Title, Subject, & Description in such a way that the title indicated the primary "group" that a part belonged to(i.e distributuin duct), the Subject indicated the secondary "group" (i.e. support channel), and the description the terciary group (i.e. C 6x18 x 220").  

I have now begun to integrate with purchasing / inventory control via the Item in vault.  It seems that the Item list only allows for Title and Description and not the subject, so that the list I produce for purchasing / inventory control gives a overall group and a terciary group, when really what is needed is the subject and the description information.

Is there any way to map the Subject from Vault into the Item ??

Does anyone have any ideas, work arounds, VBA etc... that could take care of this for me?

I would prefer not to have to go back into each part and change the subject and part fields...

Message 4 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: lfmgtc59
Message 5 of 8
lfmgtc59
in reply to: cbenner

Cbenner...  I appreciae the reply, but Subject and item QTY do not appear to be choices to select from the std. customization menu...  Am I missing something here?

Thank You

Lee

Message 6 of 8
minkd

Certain properties (like quantity) are not properties of the item itself, but are properties of an item in the context of a parent item.

OK, that sounded like technobabel ... let me give an example:

ItemA uses 10 of ItemX, ItemB uses 5 of ItemX.  If you are looking at ItemX in the Item Master, neither quantity really applies.  However, if you are looking at the BOM tab of ItemA or ItemB, you can see the quantity of 10 each, or 5 each, respectively.

So quantity is not really a property of an item as much as it is a property of the BOM row of some parent of that item.

Hope this helps,

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 8
lfmgtc59
in reply to: minkd

minkd:

Yes, I undertand that, however my issue is as follows where quantity is concerned:

1.  Custom parts from content center come in as a default "unit qty" "inches"

2.  In the Inventor BOM this then feeds a field (QTY) that gives qty in total inches of material rather than qty of parts.

3.  On the Inventor side this is not an issue because I have another field (Item QTY) which ignores the "inch / each" and gives just pure qty of given part within an assembly.

4. However, on the Item Master side I only have the field "Quanitity", which like the Inventor (QTY) field presents quantity based upon the "inches / each " setting.

5.  Unfortunatly, having not implemented Item Master, and not being aware of the Item Master limitation, I have been using both "Item QTY" and "QTY" in my title blocks, so that now to change all the content center generated parts to "each", will foul up the the value using "QTY" in the title block.

6. Also I can find no way if I wanted to to make the content center default to "each" rather than "inches"

7 Finally, now I am starting to implement Item Master to feed data to purchasing/ Inventory control, instead of a quantity of "22" showing up for the number of parts shipping, the Item Master info might show 220, depending on part length as it is showing total inches instead of qty of parts.

So..  I need to find a way to have my cake and eat it too... being able to continue to use both "Item QTY" and "QTY" in Inventor, but getting quantities out of Item Master that represent # of parts, not total number of inches...

Any thoughts... 

Thank You

Lee

Message 8 of 8
mbrandwijk

Hi Lee

We have the same problem with BOM export to ERP. ERP systems expect the item Quantity in Each, but for CC profile mm is given. So ERP systems have to do a calculation on CC profile, so the real Quantity is given to there system.

So this is a know issue. I think this is solved in Vault Pro 2015 R2 with the new BOM/Item functionality. Check this version, but be aware. some functionality in R2 is switched off and will be switched on in the next version.

Mischa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report