Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping DWG Block Attributes To Vault

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
santoshr0114
847 Views, 8 Replies

Mapping DWG Block Attributes To Vault

Dear All,

I have sucessfully mapped the DWG file block attributes to vault using the ADMS console and the by defining new UDP in vault and its working fine if i checkin new files into vault.

I already have existing files(approx 9000) in vault whose properties are not in sync with vault, But uses same block atrrbutes.

The properties updates if i checkout and checkin the fie. I have approx of 9000+ files where i cannot checkout and checkin back.

Is there any alternative to update the properties of the existing files inside vault.??

Regards
Santosh
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mikel_martin
in reply to: santoshr0114

The property re-index feature was created for just such a scenerio.

you can learn more about it by going to the Autodesk Vault Help Page and doing a search on Indexing Properties.

Help Page: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2014/ENU/

Direct Link to the page: http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Vault/files/GUID-18ECEB1E-C617-4469-A631-D397F827E0BA.ht...

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
santoshr0114
in reply to: mikel_martin

I have tried that. It says xxxx number of files are re-indexed and takes lot of time and completes. but the values are not updated.
Regards
Santosh
Message 4 of 9
mikel_martin

perhaps I missunderstood. Reading your orginal post again I noticed that you are trying to update the files with a value from the Vault.

Is that correct?

If so, then it can only be done by versioning the files. You can do this through a couple workflows, but basicly it requires a properties sync.

1. Open the file in the CAD app which will cause a sync properties to occur, and then check in the file.

2. Use the Synchronize Properties command under the Actions menu.

It should be noted that updating that many file is going to take some time. Also, I would not try to do them all at once.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
santoshr0114

No. Its vice-versa of what you understood.

I am trying to update the values(Block Attributes) into vault UDP.

I have successfully mapped the DWG file block attributes to vault using the ADMS console and then by defining new UDP in vault and its working fine if I checkin new files into vault.

I want to update the values for the existing files in vault, something like batch update.....
Regards
Santosh
Message 6 of 9
mikel_martin

A re-index should do what you want.

I am unsure why it is not.

Perhaps you should contact the support desk or your VAR.

Mikel Martin
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 9
santoshr0114

As per my understanding and some reading, Re-indexing is done only for mapping/searching, it does not extract values from the file.

If i check-in new dwg file, the values are updated from the mapped values.

I want to update the values for existing(9000 files) in Vault. It would be tedeous work to checkout and checkin 9000 files.

Am i missing any option or just overshot.

Regards
Santosh
Message 8 of 9

Have you found a solution to this Santosh?

I am having the same issue and am desperately searching for a solution

Message 9 of 9
minkd
in reply to: travistwinter

Vault will update a UDP via a changed mapping if the UDP was present for the file when the file was checked-in.

In this case, it sounds like the UDP was created after many files were checked in. So even though the block attribute may exist (and have a value) in those checked-in files, the UDP does not exist for them so there is nothing to map the block attribute to during the re-index.

When the file is checked-out and checked-in the UDP can be added to the file, allowing the mapping to work.

So unfortunately, the only way to get all those block attributes into the new UDP is to check-out / check-in.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums