Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make PDF files searchable by adding keywords

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
fsdolphin
1319 Views, 4 Replies

Make PDF files searchable by adding keywords

Hi,

Is there a way to add Keywords to a PDF file in Vault to make it searchable?  In other words I want to add PDF files into Vault but I want to be able to add keywords so that the file can be found by searching by those keywords.

I have tried and the only way I could make a PDF file searchable was by adding the keywords at the initial check-in.

FYI – I’m not expecting Vault to track file changes on a PDF, I’m just trying to get advantage of the searching capabilities, that’s all.  Also, I'm not looking to search by the content of the document either, just by keyword I manully add.

Thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fsdolphin
in reply to: fsdolphin

Any suggestions? thanks

Message 3 of 5
ryan

On your server, install the "Windows Search Service" followed by the "Adobe PDF iFilter v9".   Then, in ADMS Console, ensure that the "Content Indexing Service" is enabled for your vault(s).

While this will not address your specific requirement of "Keywords", it will be a better solution because the entire content of the PDF file will be indexed by the server.

I can confirm that the above works on Vault 2013, 2014 and 2015.  It also works on vault 2012; however, you need to be running v6 of the Adobe PDF iFilter.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 4 of 5
fsdolphin
in reply to: ryan

If I implement what you are sugesting, will I be able to do my searches using theVault's serach box? 

however, you need to be running v6 of the Adobe PDF iFilter.

V6 or V9?

While this sounds like a very good solution for PDF files I was hoping to find a way to add keywords since I was also planning on adding some vidos into Vault and be able to search by keywords.

Thanks a lot.

Message 5 of 5
ryan

You can search the content through the normal means, you just have to place a checkmark beside the option "search file content" if you want to return content-based results in your search.

If your vault server is 2015, 2014 or 2013 then you need to use V9 of the Adobe PDF iFilter. V6 only applies if your vault server is 2012.

As for your specific Keywords requirement. While PDF files and other file types such as media files may have a Keywords property, I doubt you can build a vault property mapping to automatically pull these out, not unless you have another file-specific iFilter that would understand these properties. See this thread; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-general-discussion/edit-pdf-properties-in-autodesk-vault/m-p/500...

-Ryan

Ryan Small, Technology Consultant
1.877.438.2231 x110
2300 Steeles Ave West, Suite 240, Vaughan, ON L4K 5X6
[[image]]
Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report