Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Use Vault with Civil 3D

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ArchD
243 Views, 1 Reply

Looking to Use Vault with Civil 3D

I am looking into adding a Vault server for our office to be used with Civil 3D. I've seen some really compelling reasons why I should go with it, but I have some questions regarding our normal operations that I need to make sure Vault can handle before approaching my boss to get the okay for a new server. I am having a hard time finding much Civil 3D/Vault specific information.

Does Vault have archiving capabilities that allow a project to be archived at milestones in the project? I understand that individual files have a revisionism system although I am not sure whether you can view all previous versions or if that is just a paper trail.

Can Civil 3D projects be eTransmited while maintaining links to surfaces and other Civil 3D shortcuts. As I understand it while using Vault data shortcuts are no longer used, instead links to C3D data is handled through vault.

When I create a drawing showing nothing but surface (style set to not display) using feature lines, can that drawing be externally referenced into a plan view type of drawing while having the surface data linked to cross section type of drawings?

I know files in vault can be moved and external reference links will be maintained, but is this true for Civil 3D objects such as surface data links as well?

I apologize for all the questions because I am sure the answers are out there, I just can not seem to find them. Any insight into a Civil 3D/Vault setup would help me out immensely.

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
kimjones4110
in reply to: ArchD

We are just starting out using the Vault for Civil 3D. The short answer to all of those feature questions is yes. However we have discovered that your files need to be clean. We are in the process of setting up better project management standards. Any sloppy drafting practices are swiftly punished by the Vault when you import your project. 

You will also want to read up on configuring your Vault to work with Civil 3D. There is a small amount of set up. Also all projects will need to be created inside of Civil 3D from the Prospector tree in master view. Civil 3D needs to associate it's file to a project. So if you have folders set up that you have been using for standard AutoCad drawings Civil 3D won't see those. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report