Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock/Reserve files

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
dan.newman
475 Views, 2 Replies

Lock/Reserve files

Is there a way to lock or reserve files in Vault Basic 2013 so they cannot be checked out?

We have several parts/assemblies that we use over and over again that keep getting checked out/checked in repeatedly.  We have been using vault for 4 months or so now, and some of these are getting up to version 30.  Also, with these being checked out by different people all the time, there is the danger that these stock parts will be modified, and cause problems with other projects.

I was thinking of making a "dummy" vault account that can always have these files checked out, so it will prevent the check in/check out/changes of other people.  I know that I could put them in a read-only library, but last time I dealt with libraries, when you did have to make a change it was difficult because of the read-only properties in the library.

Thanks,

Dan.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BLHDrafting
in reply to: dan.newman

Short answer is NO.

Long answer is the 3rd part of your post is correct. I checked out to Administrator all of the files I didn't want other users from touching. This 'locks' them, sort of. A user can still touch the local copies but they cannot check the changes back in.

So it only half fixes the problem. I am in day 5 of upgrade to 2013 and Vault Workgroup, coming from Vault Basic. Using the Lifecycle States is a much better method of locking files. Same still applies to local file though. You can still edit them. You still dirty the file. But you CANNOT check the file into Vault.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 3
dan.newman
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Ok, thats what I figured.  Thanks a bunch!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report