Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking and Shortcuts in Vault

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
BSchubring
4495 Views, 2 Replies

Linking and Shortcuts in Vault

As my team works with Vault more, it occurs to me that we're missing a couple pieces of functionality that would make it easier to move around in vault's folder structure.

1) Access to shortcuts when checking in documents through CAD/Outlook/Etc

We can create shortcuts for navigating large directory structure where it is inconvenient to click/expand, click/expand, click/expand until you reach the desired sub folder.  However, you do not have access to shorcuts when checking in and have to manually navigate the tree.  Am I missing something here? Is there a simpler way to navigate large directory structures from the Check In dialog boxes?

2) Creating shortcuts that can be emailed/IM'd

I've just placed a file in $\CAD\Automotive\Conveyor\Sub-Floor\BLDG_A.  I want to tell a coworker that this file is there, and can be referenced if he needs it.  Is there a way to easily send a clickable link that jumps to the correct location in Vault, the same way I can send a link to a location on a file server (\\Server\Share\conveyor.dwg)?  Right now we find ourselves verbally describing paths to others when you want to direct someone to a specific file.

Thanks for taking the time to consider these topics, and perhaps show me the error of my ways. 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
luttena
in reply to: BSchubring

Hello and thank you for this feedback.

For your first suggestion, there is currently no way to access the shortcuts from the check in dialog. I have forwarded this concept to a fellow member of the design team for future consideration.

I am not sure which release you are using. But if you are on 2012 or later then you can create links to folders that can be used by you or any other user. Simply link a folder to a common project location and navigate from there.

Your second point is possible today using the 'Copy hyperlink' command (formally called copy link).

1. Select a file in the Vault.

2. From the Edit menu, select 'Copy Hyperlink' command.

3. In email, choose Paste from your right-click context menu.

This will place a hyperlink in the email/word doc, etc...

Does this satisfy your need?

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
BSchubring
in reply to: luttena

The Copy Hyperlink function (As well as Send->Link I discovered shortly after testing your suggestion) is pefect. Thank you for pointing me to this feature I missed. I might consider recommend adding it to the right click menu in some fashion, or adding a prominent button to make the feature more visible.

As for access to shortcuts in the check in dialog, thank you forwarding this feedback. It would be very valuable to me, and I'm sure many others.

Thank you! 

(For the record, we are using 2012 Pro)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report