Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited my Content Center Libraries

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tahdesign1
457 Views, 7 Replies

Limited my Content Center Libraries

I am building my server and have decided to pull back on installing ALL of the content libraries.

I just want to put out there what has been used.

Questions:

In looking at what has been used in the current Vault we have the following prefixes.

• ANSI
  • AS
  • ASME
  • ASTM
  • BS
  • CNS
  • IFI
  • IS
  • ISO
  • JIS
  • Parker
  • UNI

Some are obvious as to what standard they came from. However, is there a quick way to tell what all of the standards used here were by the prefixes?

If I do dial back what is installed and leave out some of the ones that have been used (some only have a few parts in them), will the ones that have been used and do not have a library on the server anymore be affected? Once place they are just parts.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tahdesign1

As far as I know, once a CC part has been placed the only reference to the source library is whatever is in the file name/part number/description (from Vaults point of view).  All CC files have a little property flag inside them (IsContent) which identifies them as library parts, but there's no reference to the standard.

With regards to excluding libraries, yea you can do that.  Essentially if you wanted to, you could completely detach all of the content centre libraries leaving none left and this would not affect any parts which have been placed already.  Once a CC part is created and placed into a library it has no dependancy on the library it came from.  So it's perfectly safe to remove the source libraries.  As they're standard & read only, obviously you can re-attach them any time in the future and begin using them again.

Message 3 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Thanks

Then I think I will dial back by installation.

I have done as you said before and pulled down all the libraries to just attach manually after I restore the backup so it should be simple.

Message 4 of 8
minkd

I believe which libraries you use is dependent on settings in the Inventor project file.  So if you detach/delete them from the ADMS, they will appear as "Innaccessible" when you look at the list of configured libraries in the Inventor project settings.

Likewise, if a library is not configured in the Inventor project, it will not be used.  Therefore it might be best to reduce which libraries are used in the project file first.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: minkd

OK I am hoping that others out there are as confused by your reply as I am.

As far as I know there is no setting in an Inventor Project file that has anything to do with the Content Center Libraries that are being used.

The only setting in the Project file is for where the parts will land when placed.

CC.jpg

Message 6 of 8
minkd

Sorry, I certainly did not intend to confuse.  I called them "settings in the project file" because they are stored in the project file, but they are not shown in the lower pane of the project dialog. In the project settings dialog, click on the "Configure Content Center Libraries" button on the lower-right to see the configured libraries.

Also, FYI - If the "Access Option" shown at the top of the Configure Libraries dialog says "Inventor Desktop Content" then you are not using the content center libraries from the vault server at all.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 8
Neil_Cross

He means this option here:

IPJ.jpg

If you delete/detach libraries from ADMS, the libraries will then show as "Not Available" in that area.

However as far as I know, there's no negative side effects to that.  You can go ahead and delete/detach libraries as much as you want and ignore that area, it won't make a difference to your files.  That area is intended as another way to control which libraries are available, if you untick the libraries from this area it'll make them unavailable in Inventor, which essentially is the same as deleting/detaching from ADMS.

Message 8 of 8
minkd
in reply to: Neil_Cross

True - and thanks for including the screen shot.

The main reason I was pointing it out was because if you have libraries on the vault server that are not defined for any project, then I'd say it is 100% safe to remove them from the vault server.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report