Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifecycle states for Parts or Drawings

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
CAD-One
324 Views, 2 Replies

Lifecycle states for Parts or Drawings

Which one should go thru the Lifecycle states; Part or Drawing. OR Both?

Whats the best practice?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikel_martin
in reply to: CAD-One

Of course there are good arguments for both scenerios.

I have always felt that both model and drawing should be controled by lifecycle and revisions.

The reason that I beleive this to be true is that if you control the drawing but not the model it can very dificult to "lock down" a released drawing. For example; if you release a drawing and lock it for edit but do not lock down the model, the next time you open the drawing it migh change if the model has been updated. This of course can be bad for a released drawing.

Because of this I would also have the model control by revisions as well. This way the drawing will be linked to a given revision of the model and not just the latest changes. This helps ensure that if you open a historical reivison of the drawing it will always reflect what was released, and will not change.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
njt
Participant
in reply to: mikel_martin

So how exactly do you "lock down" the model?

The drawing is locked because it saves a different VERSION each time.

But you can open a model, change, save, and then next time you open it, you have no way to get back to the previous "version".

Are you suppose to SAVE AS the file and add a "digit" to the end to differenciate?

5402A

5402B

5402C........etc?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report